Monday, May 2, 2011

RECOVERY DAY

Although its tough being back at work today after a wonderful 10 days off, I'm cruising along quite nicely. Mind you, it wasnt so nice having my alarm go off at 5.15 but I figured it was better to get back into my old routine sooner rather than later. I know that if I take a few days off from early morning training then its really hard to start up again. So its become an (almost) non-negotiable and this works welll for me.

I started today with a 44 minute walk to move my legs without stressing them further. Yes they are sore and despite a part of me wanting to run like mad again, the voice of reason and common sense said "take a rest, your legs will thank you for it". So thats what I'm doing. No running until the weekend and fingers crossed that this makes a difference in the longer term. My weekly training goal is accordingly modified but I'll still be doing something daily which is what counts.

I'm looking forward to seeing my physio on Friday as I'm keen to know if I can improve my injury and what it would take to do so. I'm working on the bits within my control and I hope there is more that she can do. I cant tell you what it would mean to me to be able to run pain free or at least to reduce the pain by 50% and just put up with a normal level of pain that runners endure.

Its great to be in a good place mentally and it even makes the physical easier to bear. A positive mindset truly does work wonders as it seems to generate more positive things in my life. People who whinge all the time and live with  a "victim mentality" should wake up and smell the roses. They're out there (the roses), you just have to let them into your life, embrace them and choose to be happy.

On my run yesterday I had this little mini challenge going with myself - to overtake 10 other runners (after all I was near the back of the pack). I managed 9 which I quickly realised was totally insignificant as at least 2 of those 9 overtook me when they picked their pace back up and I couldnt go any faster (and finish the race vertically). This was a great reminder that its pointless comparing myself to others. It means nothing and if I'm constantly battling thoughts of not measuring up or not being as good as, then I'm choosing a negative headset which isnt where I want to be. But the best bit was when the elite half marathoners started overtaking us. Man were they moving!!!! Some would have finished in a little over an hour -  something I just cant fathom but then I'm not an elite athlete LOL.

Ah wouldnt it have been great to have such wisdom and insight 30 years ago LOL.

:-) Magda

2 comments:

  1. Hi Magda

    Congratulations on a great finish with the 10km. Also best wishes for your continued journey with running and being able to manage the injuries. Not always easy but really worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gill, I received a great email from my coach today. Will post it tomorrow. I'm so pleased with myself :-)

    ReplyDelete