Tuesday, May 24, 2011

MIND POWER

Today was a weight training day with chest / bis and abs on the "menu". It was my usual 5am wake up call and by 5.11am I was in my studio (read that "fancy shed" LOL) ready to go.

I knew that today was time to incraese my weights on my bench press. After 5 or so weeks on the same weight it was no longer challenging so time to up the ante. Now being a small(er) muscle group I aimed to increase my weights by about 10% and that would have been the 1.25kg plates (yes I'm a weakling but this is heavy(ish) for me). So on they went and I started my first set.

It felt heavier than I expected and the voices started. "Oh boy this is a quite heavy. I might not make the sets of 12." Then the other voice kicked in "What do you mean you might not make it, its only another 2.5 kilos. Suck it up girl." And this type of banter went on in my head for the 3 sets of 12 reps that I did manage to complete YAY!

As I unloaded the bar two exercises later I noticed that in my still half asleep state, I had actually loaded up the 2.5kg plates and therefore added another 5kgs to the bar. I had a little chuckle at this.

My body was quite clearly telling my brain that the bar was "too heavy" yet my brain responded with "no its not, just lift it" and my body obeyed. I'm still laughing at it. We read all the time about the power of the mind. My own SP left me with one of the most impressionable quotes that went "whether you believe you can or you believe you cant, you're right." And how true it is.

How many times do we sell ourselves short by convincing ourselves that we cant do x or y? That we couldnt possibly achieve .....(insert your own insurmountable challenge). By believing it to be so we WILL never achieve it. How many times have you half heartedly started a venture full of self doubt and anticipation of when you'll fail. I know I've been guilty of this many a time - although you/I rarely admit it as its buried deep in our subconscious.

So lets make a concerted effort to challenge our self limiting beliefs, to believe we can and take a leap of faith towards a goal that we previously thought was impossible. We may just discover a new talent, a new strength or a new passion that fills us with delight and enriches our lives.

:-) M

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Ha! I hadn't had a chance to catch up on blogs this week ... yes it has been a week for it!

    ReplyDelete