Friday, May 27, 2011

DEALING WITH DDDDDDOMS

It has been absolutely ages since I did any leg training with weights. From memory it would have been around October 2009 when I didnt have a good gym set up at home and started running more.

I've been tinkering with my training schedule lately and have decided to put legs back in. Yesterday was the first session and I took it easy just concentrating on form and technique, sussing out what my dicky hips and lower back could handle.

So just using a 10kg bar I did 3 sets of 12 squats. Hmm managed those, although it took a while to get any depth on the squat. Then I grabbed my bright green 2kg dumbbells (yes you read that right - embarassing I know) and did static lunges - 3 sets of 12 on each leg. Lots of concentrating and willing muscles to work had me eventually engaging my glutes and feeling the squeeze I was trying so hard to achieve. Then onto the big test - stiff legged deadlifts with the 10kg bar. Should be easy peasy with such a light weight but my lord where has my flexibility gone. Try getting a plank of wood to tip from the hip and get the bar down to the knees. I think I managed a few to the knees in the third and final set. Lots of twinges, aches and pains taunting me but nothing to lay me up. To finish it was 3 sets of 12 wide legged squats again just with the 10kg bar. The only exercise I considered "easy".

That was my leg training and by the evening I could feel mild DOMS in my quads and glutes. This morning it was stronger but not debilitating. Its just wierd to feel that momentary "OMG my legs hurt" when getting up from a sitting position. People are looking at me funny as I walk gingerly from my desk and down the steps at work. Yet again I am the source of amusement for them - like the wierd woman who gets up at 5am to run or lift weights .... why???

But I like this feeling and plan to do legs again next week taking my weights up very gradually so my hips and lower back adjust accordingly. I dont think I'll ever squat my body weight, let alone more but getting my legs stronger will certainly be a good thing.

Cheers all

M

No comments:

Post a Comment