Wednesday, January 4, 2012

UNLOCKING THE SECRET TO HAPPINESS

I seem to have found my groove in the start of the new year. Being happily on holidays helps of course but it would be just as easy to be wandering into the kitchen to hoover up the thousand Ferrero Rochers that are left over from Christmas. Those and the shortbreads that Peter thankfully finished and there's still a small bowl of almond bread hanging around.

On the other hand I have made a batch of blueberry/oat/egg white and cottage cheese pancakes that I have topped with organic apple baby food (its sugar AND artificial sweetener free and provides the moist sweetness that the pancakes need). The pancakes are an enjoyable daily breakfast. We've been eating a lot of webered and BBQed fish lately so much so that I swear I have gills growing. Peter has declared that he MUST have red meat soon to replenish his iron stores so on the weekend I'll be feeding the man meat - I might even have some myself. We are flush with local stone fruit; mum and dad's crop of apricots is superb and the peaches from my cousin's farm in the Barossa have been good too. Who needs the chocolates and biscuits when there is all that to enjoy?

So in a nutshell, I've been eating well and feeling fantastic. 

I've also been planning out my training for the week and ticking it off as I do it. I'm liking the structure and accountablity that I now have as its certainly making me work that bit harder than when I just winged it with whatever I felt like. I have a nice balance of weight training (3 sessions a week), cardio (mainly a combo of walking and jogging 3 times a week) and 1-2 Bikram yoga classes. Its working really well for me and its adding to all the feelgood hormones that have taken up residence in my body.

I know if I can nail the first 3 weeks of January in this positive state, boosting my physical and emotional health and wellbeing then I can tackle anything that the year will bring. Balance and calm will be mine as I'll have unlocked the secret to happiness that comes from deep within.

:-) M

3 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear, Magda. It's all about balance, isn't it?xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pancakes and stone fruit sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance and (inner) calm, Sandra. When I have those, I can handle anything.

    We are so lucky with the local stone fruit Charlotte and NOTHING beats home grown and passed on with love :-)

    M

    ReplyDelete