Thursday, January 19, 2012

PEOPLE WATCHING

Wow what an amazing week this has been. I've been feeling pretty on-top-of-the-world and thats translated into some reduction of the MASST (middle aged spread spare tyre). I'm going to let the Metal Monster sit peacefully under the bathroom cabinet as I dont plan to visit him for some time. I can estimate fairly closely what my weight is and even if I cant, my clothes will tell me.

Tonight we got ino the TDU spirit as tomorrow's leg leaves from our suburb so it was all parties and celebrations in our main street. We had dinner out and then wandered around for a while and soaked up the amazing atmosphere. I love having dinner (or lunch or even breakfast) out because I love to people-watch although Peter and I will always be engaged in conversation so watching is done discreetly and sporadically. Here is what I observed at the table next to us:

Mr I've got big muscles but they're covered in just as much fat with Mrs I can lose 3kgs quickly - i just have to take my make up off. He had a permanent frown on his face. She looked like she had just sucked a lemon and that look got permanently stuck. He stared ahead and she did the same from his side. I dont think they said two words to each other in the time they were there. I was wondering: bad first date or they've been together WAY too long and cant stand each other any more. I was fascinated. Later they were joined by a young woman who my guess would be his daughter. She lightened the mood, a little.

I know the old sayings "dont judge a book by its cover and you dont know somebody until you've walked a mile in their shoes" but it amazes me that people exist in these relationships. What is the point of going out together if you cant talk to the person you're with? I had lunch with a work friend today and I tell you there was so much talking that there would have been a serious shortage of oxygen around us LOL. And I cant ever recall a time when Peter and I have been as disconnected as that couple were. I hope I can say the same thing in 5 and 10 years time LOL.

Planning to be up early tomorrow to wave off the amateur riders at 6.30am. Wish me luck with this as my body clock is firmly set on holiday time which is NOT 6.15am starts.

Cheers all

Magda

4 comments:

  1. TDU sounds like fun!...and I love people watching. Inherited it from my old dad...he would decipher relationships and situations from people after watching them for five minutes. It was a lot of fun growing up...certainly fired up our imaginations and gave us a lot of laughs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure does Sandra and yes the TDU is great. It certainly brings Adelaide to life for that week in January and lets face it, the cycling pros look pretty good in their lycra. Shame the same cant be dais for some of the amateurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go to TDU - maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz you'd love it. If you need a place to stay, you're welcome in my home. We are very central and have a spare bedroom. Think about it.

    ReplyDelete