Wednesday, January 11, 2012

NOT YOUR TYPICAL DAY

This is the sort of day when I dont feel like blogging but I will as a form of mini therapy. Lets just say my goals and commitments took a major back seat today.

I was nearing the end of my HIIT cardio on the new spin bike just pedalling steadily for the last 5 - 10 minutes when I got a call from my Dad. I knew something was wrong when he wouldnt/couldnt talk to me but eventually he managed to get out that Mum had taken a fall. I told him to call an ambulance but he said they were at the hospital so I found out where and told him I'd be there in about half an hour.

Jump off my bike, quick shower, minimal make-up, do hair with fingertips, dress quickly, drag my boy off the computer games and drive to the RAH. Find Mum (and Dad) in Emergency and learn that she tripped on eneven paving whilst out on their morning walk. Luckily Dad was with her. She fell on her knee, then broke her fall with her hand/arm but hit her head on the pavement. Dad helped her up and they turned to go back home when 5 steps later she collapsed. Dad immediately went to the nearest house to seek help and an ambulance was called while ironically an aged carer (who lived in that house) stayed with Mum and helped her remain conscious.

So at the hospital it was all go, go, go or wait, wait, wait. Both are draining and stressful and the hours passed one after the other. Nobody, except my boy had eaten breakfast so it was coffee and raisin toast in the RAH cafeteria. Before we knew it, lunch time came so back to the cafeteria for a rushed and harried choice for our lunches. Drinking water was almost non-existent not helped by the coolness in the Emergency ward (I needed hot food/drink to get warm). We were told that Mum had a mild head injury and would be kept in overnight.

At 2pm I took Dad and my boy home but went back to take Mum her overnight essentials. By then she had normal colour as opposed to the unbecoming shade of white/grey she had been earlier. I was also concerned for Dad so although he said he had food for dinner, I invited him to our place and he readily accepted. This meant a quick decision on dinner for the 4 of us (no going out for me as planned) and a dash to the shops for dinner supplies. Hurry home as Dad was coming around 5pm and prepare the dinner for Peter to BBQ when he got home.

I caved and broke my 'no-alcohol-during-the-week' rule and followed it up with 2 Ferrero Rochers after dinner. I wont even mention the cup of tea and Ninjabread biscuit after Dad had gone home (oops I just did mention it). I'm still not calm nor relaxed and would kill for a peaceful alcoholic beverage but I'm blogging instead.

I know this wasnt your typical day nor was it anything even remotely related to mindless, out-of-control binging but geez I feel physically crappy and emotionally like a wrung out rag. But I'm glad I blogged instead of pouring another drink. I will now have a big glass of water and get ready for bed. Tomorrow will be a better day. Thanks for listening.

M

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry your family had this stressful experience, Magda, but glad your Mum is OK.

    And I think you did great under the circumstances. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kerryn. It looks like she'll be in for a few days but she's sounding much better and at least her medical care is thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magda - firstly, I hope your mum is feeling better soon and that it is nothing too serious...secondly, you did well, you ate what you could and you took care of your parents at a time when they needed you. There is always tomorrow, take care xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sandra. And today I'm thinking "well there's always tomorrow." LOL.

    M

    ReplyDelete