Monday, September 3, 2012

WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND

Wow, that would have to be one of the best weekends I've had in ages. Talk about things just falling into place and going like clockwork.

Peter had a bit of a problem at work on Friday and was very late home. I managed to use that time to my advantage and rather than plonking myself on the couch with a wine, some nibbles and Facebook, I got stuck into my share of the cleaning. By the time he got home, I had finished doing my cleaning and we had a nice steak and red wine for dinner. 

Saturday was a glorious spring day which lifted my spirits no end (not that I was feeling down but after the miserable winter weather of late, the sunshine and warmth were VERY welcome.) Having an earlier night on Friday meant that we were both awake pretty early on Saturday so I used the time to do my first weights session for this new week. Back/chest and core were nailed and I felt great about getting the day off to such a good start. The usual Saturday routine doesn't change: ice skating lesson, Mitchell to mum and dad's, grocery shopping with the bonus of meeting Peter for an afternoon coffee, then pick Mitchell up, whilst in the background there is an array of domestic chores filling in the spare minutes (whatever they are LOL).

We had a quiet night at home and I made the baklava cigars for dessert on Fathers Day. Again, super organised ahead of time and loving that Sunday wouldn't be a mad rush of trying to get a million things done in a few hours.

Fathers Day was great. We all had breakfast in bed (as is our usual custom) and Peter read the paper there before getting up. Later in the morning I went for my run which is now for 35 minutes. I walk for 5 minutes to warm up then jog for 35 minutes then finish with a walk. My total time was 1 hour + 1 minute and the last minute was running home. It was a beautifully warm and sunny day and I did the run in *gasp* short sleeves.  Getting organised for dinner was relaxed and stress free and I even had time to sit outside and read in the sun for an hour or so.

The day ended with dinner at our place. I made lamb shanks with wine sauce, bean puree and caramelised onions. VERY yummy (and very rich and filling). For dessert we had the baklava cigars, almond bread and Haighs scorched almonds. After putting everything on the table I decided that everything looked SO good and I would have one of each but as I sipped the last of my wine to finish it off, my tummy felt fuller and fuller and in the end I didn't have any desserts. Funny, I dont miss them.

So there you have my weekend wrap up. Did you have a nice Fathers Day celebration too?

M



  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely relaxed weekend, love it when you dont have to rush around like a mad thing. Your whole dinner sounds so good, and baklava cigars would be delicious too! (But they sound like they'd be tricky to make?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilary, they are delicious and the only tricky bit is rolling the mixture in the sheets of filo pastry, cut into 3 (width wise) to make the cigar shape. The rest is dead easy.

    M

    ReplyDelete