Thursday, September 6, 2012

LETTING GO OF THE GRUMPINESS

Regular readers would know that since around the beginning of August, I've been working hard at getting fitter and leaner. I'm running regularly as this is one of the best ways for me to melt off the kilos but I've also ramped up my weight training in an effort to sculpt the nice shape that I'm striving for.

On the food front (cause I hate the word 'diet') I've reigned in the treats and sugar is no longer a daily staple (unless its in the small sprinkle of chocolate on a cappuccino). I've also reduced my carbs overall cause lets face it, after my morning training I basically sit on my arse all day. I eat fruit but for now its starchy carbs with breakfast and then generally not throughout the day. Having said all that, these are by no means hard and fast rules as too many rules do my head in. I like to think of this is me finding my version of a happy journey to leanness and fitness :-)

Progress to date has been excellent with an easy 4kgs dropped in around 3 weeks (not too hard when the starting number is higher than normal). Seeing the weekly drops has kept me determined and focused. However today I faced my first Metal Monster challenge when the silly bugger headed in the wrong direction :-( albeit by a measly .2 but nevertheless it made me briefly grumpy.

So here's where I make a conscious decision to let the grumpiness go and break from tradition. That tradition being 1. I get all sorry for myself and convince myself that this isn't working 2. then proceed to eat my body weight in sweets and other junk 3. then spend weeks trying to pick myself up, dust myself off and get back on track and 4. only to find I'm back at square one feeling worse than ever before.

Today I make a conscious decision to get on with what I know works. I might think about all of the above but I can choose not to act on it. Instead I can focus on my longer term goals and press on forward even more determined to achieve them. I've always known that the journey from fatness to leanness is never a straight line and now its time to remind myself of that, accept it and get on with it. 

:-) M  

 

6 comments:

  1. Magda, fab job with your efforts of late, I can totally relate to what you are saying, staying 'in the zone', 'on track', 'in control', whatever that means to us = a key part of happiness! I intend to put a blog up tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pip, I know you get exactly what I'm saying and where I'm at. I look forward to your blog tonight.

    xx m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Magda... isnt it frustrating how that number on the scales can have such an effect on us? Mine are going in the wrong direction at the moment, and I'm bloated as all hell... hormones are about to hit I think, after 18 months of not having to deal with TTOTM... aargh, not happy!

    Recognising that the number will fluctuate is all part of the process, as you say, fat loss is never in a straight line is it? its quite an "up and down" journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always the hardest part - winning the mind games. Looking at the long term and focusing on daily actions, not day to day or week to week results is often a difficult lesson to learn.

    I had a 600g overnight increase earlier this week - which I knew was a direct result of insane DOMS I'd inflicted on myself. It didn't affect me one little bit... which is a different story to years ago, when I would have reacted exactly the way you describe. No wonder I spent five years getting nowhere on the weight loss front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you for letting it go. As you said, it is never a linear progression and we all have that 'wrong way, dickhead' moment with the scales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilary, I'm working hard at being rational and NOT letting it affect me but as I said "its a very conscious decision" as opposed to something that just comes naturally.

    Hi Kek, I've given myself a year to get it right. It might take longer but with the pressure off I'm more likely to be rational and sensible than reacting porly because I only have 12 (??) weeks to change the world.

    Thanks Michelle, it hasnt been easy but deep down I know its the right (and only) way.

    ReplyDelete