Friday, September 14, 2012

MY ATYPICAL FRIDAY IN PICTURES

 
Today is Wonderful Husband's (aka Peter's) birthday, hence the atypical Friday. So while the family was together for breakfast I decided to break out the joint (me and Mitchell) present. The gift bag had 3 numbered items to be opened in order:
1. A Farmers Union Strong Iced Coffee - Peter LOVES these but being somewhat health conscious he rarely has them. Well birthdays are for treats and not restraint so here he got one to enjoy as a rare treat.
2. This is an all time favourite - a box of Haighs dark chocolates with coffee centres. OK I've gone a bit overboard here because he got one for Fathers Day too but hearing him say "well if this isnt just the BEST chocolate in the world ...." makes it all worthwhile. And he only gets it twice a year - our anniversary and Fathers Day/his birthday. Enjoy darling!!
3. This was the real surprise. Peter has just decked himself out with a new (first ever for decades) road bike and he needs all the gear that goes with it. Yes he got money towards getting it all set up but I used my own stash of NQA (No Questions Asked) money to throw in a good pair of cycling shorts from 2XU. He was gobsmacked as this was TOTALLY unexpected.
 
 
I made every effort to get home as early before Peter as possible so that I could set up for dinner. Its hard to make a table for 8 look nice and cosy for 2 but here we are with setting, flowers and candles. When Peter came home he lit a fire for us and it really was a lovely atmosphere - even if 6 other people could have joined us.
 
 
I love a nice casual starter that you share over a wind down drink. I prepared a platter of triple creme brie, home made fig paste, smoked cheddar and crackers with some roasted macadamia nuts. Like I said, birthdays are about indulgence so lets ditch the 'D' work out the window LOL.
 
 
A Coopers Sparkling Ale for Peter and a champagne for me and life doesnt get much better than this. Cheers!!
 
 
For dinner we had garlic tartines with grilled scallops and crispy bacon except I used prosciutto. This was a taste sensation but SO not lean and clean. Pffft. Today was about celebrating and Peter loved the meal. This recipe came courtesy of .....
 
 
Many years ago I asked for an innovative and different cookbook for Christmas and my in-laws bought this book for me. It is AMAZING with some REALLY different recipes in it. I love how its set out in sections according to the main ingredient eg: balsamic vinegar, basil, cardamon .... chocolate, honey, lavendar, tamarind ... you get my drift. This is my go-to book when I awnt to WOW with something different.
PS. Please ignore this recommendation if you live by the lean and clean rule. These recipes are about taste, not necessarily health.
 
 
Well I'm just tickled pink that I pulled off the surprise of the year. Peter had no idea that I had secretly made his absolute favourite dessert - this coffee liqueur cheesecake. After dinner, I cajoled Mitchell away from his computer game to present the cake and join me in a memorable rendition of Happy Birthday (LOL). Again Peter was totally surprised and gobsmacked as he truly had no idea. And as I predicted, there wasnt a skerrik of complaint about the chunky bits of dark chocolate/coffee liqueur in the cheesecake. A slice was devoured with relish.
 
 
So there you have my really atypical Friday that was Peter's birthday but at least it made for a (hopefully) interesting assortment of photos.
 
I've really enjoyed sharing my week in pictures but at times its had me racking my brains about what to present and write about. I mean, I work full time in government so thats not overly exciting or interesting. I train every day but my routine is not excitingly varied and different. There's only so much food that you can photograph and my family certainly didnt want me in their faces with my camera every day. But depsite all that, I've loved it and I hope you've enjoyed looking at and reading about those parts of my life that otherwise just dont get shared.
 
Au revour for tonight guys.
 
xx m
 

 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Home made fig paste??? If you made it, I want the recipe...you domestic goddess, what a wonderful treat for Peter that dinner looks amazing. Michael and I are talking about a weekend in Adelaide some time, so I'm inviting us over to your place for dinner ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Sandra. I'm the total UNdomestic goddess (really). My mum made the fig paste from the overabundance of fruit from our tree. However I will admit that my dinner WAS amazing and dare I say it, Masterchef material. I cant wait to impress you and Michael. Please tell me when you're coming.

    ReplyDelete