Monday, September 24, 2012

PROGRESS CHECK

This weekend marked a bit of a progress check in my journey to getting leaner and fitter. I don't often check formally other than seeing the scale numbers come down but I broke with tradition and did a few tests and checks.

Firstly measurements were taken and seeing some numbers still in the 90s I thought that my progress had been slow to minimal. Until I compared to 4 weeks ago and saw 5cm losses at both chest and waist. Nice!! I'll take that thanks. Legs are coming down too (as are other areas) just not as fast which is typical.

Then I did a handful of fitness tests starting with a 1km running time trial. 4 weeks ago my time was 6:32 and that was my running pace. This time it was 5:47 and I was STOKED. Mind you, I felt it as i just don't ever run that fast but it was good knowing I had it in me. Then it was push-up testing time and I managed 6 (weak) push ups from my toes followed by 24 from my knees in 1 minute. My previous result was 2 from the toes and 23 from the knees so again a nice improvement. My wall sit (testing leg strength) was 1:07 up 5 seconds from before. Not surprised at only a small improvement as I'm finding my legs are generally tired from 4 runs + 1 leg weights session every week. Even my flexibility (sit and reach) had improved. 

I'm really happy with these results. Often when I'm training I just don't feel any improvements then and there. Every run - bar the odd one every once in a blue moon - is hard. Every weights session is hard and its just about impossible to increase my weights without sacrificing form so I always feel like I'm just doing the same session over and over. That lack of faith in what I'm doing has been somewhat relieved by these results and its really lifted my spirits.

Mind you at 5am this morning my spirits weren't very high but it was a running day and a clear case of JFDI. So up I got, dressed, warm lemon drink, gear up and go. If you view the whole training thing as not negotiable (like brushing your teeth) - unless you're injured and on a temporary break - then its a case of just getting it done. Take the emotion out of it, ditch the excuses and get the job done. I think this mindset has finally sunk in and become my norm, more so than it was a few months ago when I'd blow it off or worse still just go for a walk because that was better than nothing. Well in all honesty it was just wasting my time and not helping to achieve the goals I've set for myself.

I'm due to meet with the MM in a couple of days and I'm not feeling like the number has dropped but with all these other things going right, I might just be ok with it. We'll see.

Cheers all


  

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all your improvements Magda :) Sending applause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. Its nice to be kicking some goals lately :-)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a good feeling seeing performance improvements hey! Great job Magda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pip, yes its nice to see evidence of progress and improvements thats for sure.

    :-) M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your progress. Those 5am starts are obviously working! Keep doing what you' re doing it's obviously working
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jo. I've been training at 5am for a long time - just not always consistently and with enough intensity.

    ReplyDelete