Wednesday, September 5, 2012

RECONNECTING

Today's post is about the stuff in life that REALLY matters. Its not about how many carbs I ate yesterday (too many) or how it was raining this morning and I missed my run (did intervals on the bike instead). No, today's post is about reconnecting with old and dear friends but under the saddest of circumstances.

From my mid 20s I had a wonderful friend who I'll just call Miss G. We met through work and even though she was a lot older than me, we hit it off REALLY well and became great friends. When I left my first husband, it was Miss G who picked me up and gave me a lift to work the next day so I wouldn't have to face the day alone. She was by my side in case it all got too hard and that gesture went on to symbolise our friendship for many years.

Some years ago she retired from work, moved to the country and we lost touch but she was never forgotten. In fact one day earlier this year she was vividly back in my thoughts but I couldn't explain why. Then out of the blue she emailed me at work (I work in a different place now from when we worked together) as it was Mitchell's 10th birthday and she was wishing him a happy birthday at that significant milestone. Since then we have emailed each other a few times and I was planning to arrange a get together in the warmer weather.

I didn't have a good feeling when her email titled 'family news' landed in my inbox on Monday evening and my intuition was right. Her daughter who is a few years younger than me with 2 young children, has just been diagnosed with cervical cancer. She gave me their numbers (both families have moved since we were last in touch) and I reciprocated with ours.

So earlier today I called her daughter to wish her the best and tell her that we'd all be praying for her. It was lovely chatting to her even though it was a really hard call to make. How I wish that the first call after so many years was under better circumstances but sadly that is not the case. I have yet to call Miss G but I will be brave and do so within the next 24 hours.

I'd love to finish this post with a deep and meaningful statement about life, friendships and stuff  but in all honesty, I'm quite lost for words. If anything, this news has just put into perspective the things that really matter: good health, a loving and supportive family, friends that care and a determination that you will not be beaten by the challenges that life throws at you.

M

  

 

3 comments:

  1. How very sad :-( Times like those really do put things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they sure do Mich.

    Liz, that's why I'll be calling my friend today. Its been TOOOO long :-(

    ReplyDelete