Friday, March 2, 2012

FIT AND FABULOUS POST 40 - MY PERSPECTIVE

Reading KerryW's post about being fit and fabulous after 40 had me nodding my head in agreement with much of what she wrote. So seeing as I share her passion for being a fit and fabulous 40something, I thought I'd write my own thoughts on this topic.

I have a few years on Kerry with my age now creeping much closer the big FIVE OH and the 40th birthday is but a distant memory. At least I have the excitement of contemplating how I'll celebrate my illustrious 50 years. Party? Overseas holiday with my family? Holiday with girlfriends? Hungry Jacks for a burger? Oops I should aim higher - maybe dinner at Wok in the Box??!!

Its time to confess that I'm a naturally vain person. I dont have to work at it. Its part of my psyche and its a part of me that I must honour. I like to look good because when I look good, I generally feel good. "Well groomed" is my middle name and things like hair, make-up, clothes that fit and flatter are all important to me.

But there is more to the fit and fabulous than the dare I say it, superficial looks. Over the years I have at times really thrashed myself with some pretty intense training both in the body building way (2006-2007) and then half marathon training (2009-2010). Fortunately whether it was the younger age or less wear and tear on the body, but I was able to survive both and only ran into major problems when wanting to repeat the half marathon training a second time. The sum of all these experiences coupled with the injuries I'm now dealing with has forced me to reconsider what being fit is now. I've had to lower my expectations and accept that I wont be a long distance runner nor a figure athlete ever again. Fitness now means moving to the extent my body will allow me at the time. Sometimes jogging, sometimes walking, lifting weights but pacing lower body workouts and pushing a bit harder on upper body. Bikram yoga is my flexibility saviour but I have to accept days when I'm like a plank and my muscles just wont stretch. Small steps, small gains all add up to a leaner and fitter body and thats worth striving for.

The older I get the less there is denying that good nutrition is the key to leanness; fitness; clear, smooth skin; shiny hair; strong nails and inner and outer health. My diet isnt perfect and at times its atrocious but fundamentally its good. I still get compliments about my skin. I'm not overweight (by everyday person on the streets standards) and at my last check up I got an A+ for all the vital tests carried out. Vegetables of many colours, seasonal fruit, good quality carbs, good fats (atlantic salmon, olive oil, nuts, olives), good quality protein and lots of water are the staples that everybody should be having every day. Its not rocket science yet I'm amazed at the number of people I work with who eat junk all day. Is it any wonder they're suffering health problems. Some days I just want to grab them and yell "hello, is there anybody in there who gives a damn?"

But the older I get the more I believe that beauty comes from within.

When we learn to live in a state of inner calm because we are confident of ourselves in the face of life's challenges, we are beautiful.

When we honour and nourish our bodies and souls because we want to, we are beautiful.

When we genuinely care about others and treat people with compassion and understanding. When we dont judge people because we havent walked a mile in their shoes, we are beautiful.

When we show patience, perseverance, determination and passion, we are beautiful.

When we can look within and love what we see, we are beautiful.

If I can grasp and master these qualities I'm instantly transformed by better posture, serenity, quiet confidence and I feel dare I say it, invincible.

Now to get cracking and lose this stubborn bit of middle-aged spread thats taken up residence on my body. Time to work it baby, work it.

M

2 comments:

  1. Wow Magda!

    Now that is a fabulous well written post. Very interesting. You do certainly look younger than the 'average' person your age! You certainly aren't overweight, and I'm infact sure are the envy of lots of women approaching 50, (and much younger). I remember some bright coloured clothing you were wearing in a blog post just before last Christmas and I remember thinking you had great muscle tone and you looked very fit with the clothes fitting you very well. I aspired to look like you in my 40's, (even now at the moment)!

    Now with me almost 32, - I'm to admit I'm a bit vain too as I agree, you feel better when you take pride in yourself. I'm not going to admit it *publicly* on my blog cause it's linked to facebook but I'm in the process of getting permanent eyebrows, (tattooed eyebrows!) Obviously I am really fussy about it and know exactly how I want the end result to look! I had a gas burn accident a few years ago which took out most of my eyebrows. They grew back but not beautifully so I shape, colour and get them tinted. Also with my hair I am going quite grey when I don't colour it and see about 8 strands in each square cm when regrowth comes, (what happens in my family). I am aiming to go through life hopefully thinking I look a couple of years younger than my 'age'. Lots of pairs of shoes and high end fashion statements don't bother me as much as physical and other maintenance. And wait till I tell you of my latest study aspirations when I return to NZ!

    Keep well!
    Pip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pip, I wrote this post from deep within. Although my weight usually only fluctuates by a few (2-3) kilos, I feel so amazingly different and better when I get all of these right. I honestly feel instantly 4-5 kilos lighter yet I know if I weighed myself that would not be the case. Yes its physical but as you get older, you know there's more to it than that.

    Cant wait to check your study aspirations. Are there more than what I read about a few days ago?

    ReplyDelete