Monday, March 26, 2012

STUDY UPDATE


One of the things I wanted to blog about recently was my progress in my accounting module. After a very rocky first 6 weeks when there was many a time when I wanted to just chuck it all in, things calmed down a bit and I found a sense of normality about it all. Mind you, I still don’t like giving up my Sundays and some of my Saturdays to study but at least I’m not studying up late as well and skipping my daily exercise.

A couple of weeks ago, we had our mid trimester test. I did the prac test on the weekend before and got a pretty ordinary 57% for it. I wasn’t happy with that so when the lecturer offered a voluntary workshop to help people with the test format and questions, I jumped at the chance to attend. Well if that wasn’t the best investment of an hour of my time, then I don’t know what was. We were tutored specifically on both short answer questions (worth 15 out of the total 40 marks) and any other questions we had were also answered. I went into the test the next day feeling quietly confident that I’d beat my 57%.

When I read the test it was like a lottery win. Being open book I had my notes from the workshop and lo and behold there were the questions we had been tutored on just with different case scenarios. I wrote furiously and was happy with my answers. I then tackled the multiple choice questions and only one of them had me totally beat (damn those cash flow statements, they are SO bloody complicated to compile). I happily conceded that mark grrrrrr.

The results came out last week and I was blown away. I scored 36 out of 40 (90%) and came 2nd in the class – beaten by one person who scored 37.  It was such a good feeling to get this mark and it lifted my spirits towards the hard work I’ve been putting in. Mind you, accounting is such a rollercoaster of “that’s so simple and obvious, how can you NOT get it” to “aaaargh, information overload and nothing is computing.”  I guess if it was all the former then it’d be a case of ‘what are you doing in this course if you know it all already?’

3 comments:

  1. Good on you Magda - persistence + hard work = results. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. Yes I've proved that formula to be correct :-)

    Thanks Shar. It hasnt been without its ups and downs but its damn good to have a 90% under my belt.

    ReplyDelete