Monday, March 19, 2012

THE THINGS WE LEARN

There is no doubt that life is one big lesson or perhaps several lessons delivered at strategic times. Whether we actively embark on a journey of self improvement or drift towards a better life, the road we travel will rarely be a straight line paved with polished marble. Its more likley to be winding, bumpy and dirty just to challenge whether we have the fortitude to keep going.

If you've been following my blog for some time, you'll remember the shift in my thinking and actions that brought about great positive changes for me in June last year. Without a doubt, entering that headspace and looking at eating and exercising from a toatlly different perspective, was one of the most balanced and calm periods of my life in recent times. It didnt take long for me to feel great, look better and function optimally.

But life is never simple and rosy all the time and we dont always deal with challenges in the best way - as I've found many a time since then. I've found myself going WAY off track - falling back into the diet mentality, becoming a slave to the Metal Monster again and battling the old all/nothing thinking. Its dawned on me yet again that its gotten me nowhere.

Yesterday I indulged in an hour long walk as it was such a beautiful morning. Only the day before I was planning my next diet to shift the weight I gained recently. The thought of it was doing my head in and leaving me in a crappy place. So I thought back to the last time I was really happy with my eating and exercise and I came back to last year. The answer became obvious to me - I had it last year but I stopped believing it was the right way.

I believe firmly in different strokes for different folks. Some people are driven by goals but I achieve more if I subtly shift my thinking and actions towards the direction I want to go in. Some people love the structure and accountability of programs and 12 week challenges. I achieve far more when I take the pressure off myself and quietly commit to taking better care of myself. Some people work well with the Metal Monster and have a balanced view of its role in their weight management. I'm happier when it sits under my bathroom cabinet and I feel good because I've taken good care of myself, not beacuse the number is what I want to see.

I finished my walk yesterday in a totally different headspace, feeling positive about the future and not dreading the diet that would start today. I studied all day without getting shitty about it and I went to bed looking forward to the new week.

I have faith and I have a quiet confidence and belief in myself that this is right for me. And for all that I feel SO much better.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment