Thursday, August 11, 2011

WHEN THE PLANETS DONT ALIGN

Today finished with a really important meeting. I spent all morning preparing for it. There were $100,000s riding on it for my organisation. I was so confident going in to it. I couldnt have been better prepared.

But in the end, I could have. It didnt go as we (my boss and I) had wanted. We walked out after an hour, dejected and wondering how we'd cross the next bridge. Its looking very rickety and like it'll collapse at any moment.

The only positive is that I accepted this situation and the feelings that went with it. I had about 15 minutes before I met Peter to go home together. I could have had a mini feast to commiserate, to make me feel better, to make me feel as bad physically as I was on a professional level, or for whatever reason I could dream up. This would have been my reaction before.

But instead I waited in our favourite coffee shop checking emails and playing with my phone. I passed on the wine and coffee and cakes and .... you get the picture. Dinner was lovely and I enjoyed every bit of it, shared with our extended family and finshed with some yummy locally bought almond bread.

Life wont always be a bed of roses where every day is fantastically wonderful and everything goes your way. But its how we deal with the challenges that determines whether we are winners or not. Tonight I go to bed knowing that I handled this disappointment as best I could with my sanity and self esteem both firmly in place and for that I'm extremely happy.

:-) M

4 comments:

  1. You're slamming it Magda :)
    Love, love, love it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is huge, Magda. I don't "binge" - can honestly say have only done so once or twice in my life...my problem is continuous and mindless eating when I'm not hungry, and eating food that has no nutritional value.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Magda... You did almost as Tara Brach talks about in the podcast I was listening to last night. It's easy to be mindful in the good times, but not so easy in the down times, but she says it is important we are present in both ups and downs so we can fully live life...

    To see you going through this is fantastic (not the downs), but the way you are handling things.

    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure about "slamming it" Katie but clocking up a string of little wins on the way.

    Binging was my downfall Sandra and its taken me a LONG time to understand it and myself. Small wins. Small wins.

    So true Kristy. Its the down times that test us and force us to look at things different to before. Its amazing just how many tests life throws at us.

    Thanks guys

    Magda

    ReplyDelete