Tuesday, August 9, 2011

MAKING GOOD USE OF TIME



Nothing earth shattering to write about today except a commitment to make good use of time.

On Tuesdays I pick my boy up from school and take him to an activity that lasts about 45 - 50 minutes. Parents dont attend this activity and last week we (5 or 6 parents) sat and talked until the activity was finished. However, I didnt enjoy the company of the group nor the content of the conversations (unusual for me as I'm a very sociable person and I love talking to and getting to know people).

So this week I decided to use that time differently and go for a walk instead. I packed my walking gear, got changed there and headed out with my iPhone music and a somewhat tired pace to my steps. I swear sitting at a computer all day is exhausting and only promotes aches and pains. But it wasnt long before I had a good pace going and my energy levels were on the rise - not to mention my disposition.

I walked for 40 minutes just up and down the local sidestreets and it felt so good. I still have times that I miss running but I'm growing more and more fond of a good walk. I guess there's something to be said for being grateful for what you have or what you can do rather than lamenting over that which you dont have or cant do.

So today I ticked 2 boxes in my "be active" goal. I did some weight training this morning and then the walk after work. Nothing of mega intensity. Nothing of marathon lengths or proportions. Nothing to cause major fatigue. Just good old fashioned movement that sweeps out the cobwebs and leaves you feeling energized.

If you're not already doing it, I recommend you give it a try.

M

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy a walk magda, it's at a pace that I enjoy my surrounding the fresh air, some of the things you miss when you are running...

    Love to see the way you are thinking things through.

    Have to agree I spend 1 hr in the car each way and then 8 hrs sitting and I am always exhausted and lacking energy... Very different though when in the garden for 6 hrs or so, as then physically tired, nothing a good nap can't cure lol! I like physically tired so much more...

    Have a great day in our wet weather, great for the gardens :)

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember saying a year or so back something about walking, not running and so glad to see you enjoying your walks now xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristy, I must agree that I'd much rather be physically tired from activity rather than being chained to a desk or car seat. You may get your wish soon :-)

    True Liz true. It just takes me some time to acknowledge these things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my walks, Magda. I do it more for relaxation/meditation than fitness...leaves me feeling relaxed, re-energized and clears my head.xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how walking can tick SO many boxes Sandra. Because I usually walk at 5am its for fitness but an after work walk is more about switching off and re-energizing. It was great!!

    ReplyDelete