Wednesday, August 3, 2011

SOAKING UP (PART 2) ......

Today's soaking up topic is LEARNING.

Who doesnt like learning new things?

I've mentioned previously that this year I'm doing a management training course. Its a blend of 6 topics that each comprise 2 days at uni taught under adult learning conditions followed by an assignment. I have an exam in mid October and then there is a large work based project that I need to complete and present in January 2012.

I have 2 modules to go and the 4 I've already done have been really interesting, thought provoking and challenging. I can see how the stuff I've learnt is already helping me do my job better and thats ultimately what I want as opposed to climbing the corporate ladder into more senior positions (with the subsequent decline in work / life balance).

All of the modules have been presented by excellent teachers in a stimulating and engaging fashion and I've really enjoyed the intellectual workout. Our group is diverse and I've met some interesting people with backgrounds really different to mine. I love talking to them and finding out more about what they do, where they work and what their organisation is like and also just what makes them tick. Of course I like to share my experiences and prespective on things too LOL.

If there is one downside to this, its getting my assignments done on the weekends. I usually devote a Sunday, or two or three to them when I'd much prefer to be doing stuff with my family but everything good has a price.

I'm so grateful to work for giving me this opportunity and supporting me through it and I hope that I can give back accordingly.

M

2 comments:

  1. Education is something I hold very close to my heart. I think the worst day would be the one where you stop learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a long drought where I didnt engage in any noteworthy learning, this has been like a breath of fresh air. Under different circumstances I'd continue the study but weighing it up shows its not really viable or practical.

    ReplyDelete