Friday, August 5, 2011

SOAKING UP (PART 3)

Today's soaking up topic is .... MY CITY.

I have lived in Adelaide for most of my life. A few years ago we did a 2 year stint in Brisvegas which was intended to be forever but quite frankly the city disappointed and as soon as there was an opportunity to come home, we jumped at it (well I did and Peter was eventually convinced). The truth is, I'm an Adelaide girl through and through and a very patriotic South Aussie :-)

I work in the city and every day I travel from the eastern suburbs in to the western side of the city. I'd like to share a bit of going to woek journey with you.

Our family of three all leave for work and Before School Care together. After our son is dropped at his school its a short drive to our carpark and then onto favourite city cafe for a pre-work coffee together. The owners know us so well that we never have to order any more. They know exactly what we have. So Peter and I will chat about our day ahead, our son, our weekend or whatever while we have a coffee.

We then head towards work and walk together for about 1/4 of the way . After saying our good-byes I'm headed further west while Peter goes south. I often walk down Rundle Mall taking in the activity unfolding as central stalls set up fruit stands, juice stands, flower stands and newspaper sellers. The intersection of The Mall and Gawler Place is often a hub of activity. This week SAFM have had a couple's bedroom set up there while they (SAFM) renovated that room in the couple's house. They have been broadcasting from there and the announcers have been chatting with the public when they're not on air.

Today the singing man wasnt out in his usual spot at the end of The Mall providing his usual entertainment. Who's the singing man you wonder? He's a man of Asian origin (sorry I cant tell exactly where), quite well dressed, sometimes smoking, always carrying a bottle of water or a Boost Juice and he basically sings / chants in a different languauge in quite a loud voice. Some days the polioce come and move him along but honestly he's not creating a disturbance nor does he harrass anybody. He just sings :-)

I love the smell of breshly brewing coffee in the many cafes along the way. I look with dismay at the people hurrying along while scoffing down breakfast from a paper bag. Its not unusual for the arcades with the fast food outlets to have tables of teenage boys sharing burgers, fries and Cokes for breakfast before heading off to their (private) schools (VERY sad!!). More and more people shut the world out with their headphones in discreetly as they hurry along. More and more executives drag along their small suitcases on wheels no doubt bulging with work they took home to do in the night before. Even when its 5 degrees, there'll guaranteed be at least a handful of people out in thongs which is as good as being barefooted IMO.

I love my city. Its not a big, buzzing and vibrant place like many others but it has its own charm, its own character and culture like no other.

:-)  M

3 comments:

  1. Magda, you paint a lovely and quaint picture of Adelaide...I'm coming to Adelaide for a conference next year, so would love to catch up for a coffee and chat.
    Not much of a city girl myself, give me the mountain villages any day - however when I do venture into Sydney, I love everything about it...I mean, a city with the world's most beautiful harbour as its backdrop...what's not to love (in small doses, lol)xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Magda :)

    I went for a walk to Morialta Falls the other day and was surprised how many people had headphones in there. Walking in a beautiful park, birds, running stream and it is all blocked out... Just thought I'd share... My youngest sister does the same thing. Always with headphones in even when with us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra I would LOVE to meet you when you visit Adelaide. I love Sydney too and visited there lots when my sister-in-law lived there. I just dont think I could live there (unless I won a shitload of money)

    Its amazing isnt it Kristy? Sadly many people feel happier shutting out the world and losing themselves in their music. I love music too but not to that extent.

    ReplyDelete