Sunday, August 21, 2011

HOT YOGA - THE OTHER ASPECT

Today was my third hot yoga session and now that I'm no longer a newbie (LOL) I could really foucs on giving it my all. So I pushed myself a bit harder than the last two times seeing just what my body could and couldnt do. There is no doubt that I have weak legs as some of the poses requiring quad strength and balance just dont happen for me. But I'm happy to modify and do what I can, I am still a newbie after all.

I love the breathing exercises and find them especially therapeutic and cleansing. There's a lot to be said for deep breathing with the added benefit of a full exhale repeated several times. Today I really pushed myself to do the compression poses to the best of my ability. They arent easy and there is some awesome stretching required for some but well worth the effort, I think.

But probably the thing I love most about Bikram is the whole yogi atmosphere in the studio and how participants are straight after a class. For a start, the foyer area where people prepare and wait for classes has a sign reading "Please be responsible for the energy you bring into this area." There is no rowdy loud behaviour, nobody madly chatting, just a nice subdued, peaceful atmosphere.

At the end of a class particpants are encouraged to remain relaxed in the corpse pose for 5 - 10 minutes. The lights are off and talking is not allowed in the studio. Its total peace and calm as people take their time to slowly leave and even in the foyer area it remains quiet and peaceful. Outside the room people sit quietly regrouping, relaxing and recharging before heading off. There is a special energy that feels really good.

When I was instructing, I always chatted away with my participants and thought the energy in a standard gym was really addictive. I'm surprised at how much I love the peace of the yoga studio. Needless to say I come out of a class feeling tired but relaxed and peaceful.

After the class I came home and after showering I had a beautiful meal of bran, oats, sultanas, LSA followed by a mug of white (leaved) tea and an orange. I tell you, you couldnt have convinced me to put crap in my body after such an awesome workout that just oozed of doing me good.

I now have a 10 class pass so I'm committed to going regularly and I'm aiming for twice a week.

:-) M

4 comments:

  1. Great write up Magda and glad you are enjoying your new experience.
    Your after class, shower, breakfast and chill sounds devine.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, as I was saying, "OMFG." Yep, I did Bikram yesterday. So totally agree about the atmosphere and the peacefulness of it all. No talking aloud in the studio after class as some people are still chilling. But, oh my, was I shattered when I got home. I sank into an epsom salts bath before dinner and then just lay in bed feeling totally calm and blissed out :). I'm not so sure about the heat yet but guessing I'll get used to it. And thinking less clothing today. Just shorts and a croppie :). OK, gotta dash. Have an awesome day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this Magda, so great to hear you are loving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shar, shower + breakfast = yes. Chill = no. I had to move it to get my boy to skating practice before we all headed to a friends for a birthday get together. I was feeling great though.

    Oh NOW I get it Shell. You had me perplexed LOL. Its awesome, isnt it? I love love love the heat. It really agrees with me and have been puling up tired but ok after each session (yay for some existing level of fitness LOL)

    Thanks Kristy. You must try it one day. A $20 casual visit gets you unlimited visits for 7 days. I just wish I could have scored more freebies but I have a pass now.

    ReplyDelete