Monday, August 29, 2011

DID SOME-ONE MENTION BASE CAMP??

Click here for Katie's post so you know what I'm talking about.

I have to have a little chuckle at the events of the last 24 or so hours. Yesterday I posted about how well I'm going with my binge free eating and how achieving this has been so relatively simple. So lets look back over today and how it unfolded.

Up early as usual and out for a 55 minute walk. There was a very light drizzle but this did not deter me from my normal routine. Breakfast of sultanas, bran, oats, egg whites and LSA which has become a Monday staple (I'm such a creature of habit) and then a skim capp on the way to work and a little chill out time with Peter.

Arrive at work and the stress starts. I have a 10am meeting to prepare for and I need to prepare a document. I have 20 minutes before I'm in back to back meetings until 10. My computer takes its usual long time to fire up and in Word it takes even longer to acknowledge key strokes and commands such as copying and pasting from Outlook. I swear it feels like its going to die any minute and I'm starting to seethe with anger and frustration.

A minor crisis must be dealt with before 10am and I dont make the 9.30 meeting which could see me in a bit of trouble next week when our admin support person is on leave. The 10am meeting goes well but I'm left to clean up the coffee cups and its freezing on the floor where our meeting was held. The cold is making me feel very uncomfortable and I'm getting hungry as I've missed my 10am cappuccino.

Fast forward to noon and I decide to eat lunch early. I'm getting to the end of my batch of soya beans with brown rice and veges and I realise I'm really sick and tired of eating this now. It has no satisfaction factor both taste wise and in terms of filling me up. I eat an orange and feel no better. I eat some almonds but I still want more.

By now I'm finishing off a spreadsheet that is quite complex and then mailing it to people who'll have to work with it (fingers crossed they dont pick too many problems with it). And then I start on the first of two difficult letters that I need to write. I'm struggling with words, with sentences, with logical sequencing, with EVERYTHING. So what do I do?

I GO BACK TO BASE CAMP.

After solidly powering along on my way to the summit and smugly feeling like going back to base camp was just not necessary, today thats exactly where I went LOL.

But you know what, life isnt perfect and I'm not perfect and I made a bit of a mistake that arose from some factors within my control and some not. The other thing I realise is that over the last couple of weeks my eating and meals have become a little erratic and this probably contributed somewhat to my situation today.

So when you combine: some missed meals, a boring and unsatisfying lunch, work stress, a sense of pressure to get a lot done in a little time, a lack of me-time to chill and smell the roses and a big dose of Mondayitis you get .... a trip back to base camp.

Never mind, tomorrow I begin the climb back to the summit and pray that the Gods help me exceed my last destination and make it that bit further up the mountain. Wish me luck :-)

2 comments:

  1. ... and this time you know the terrain, have so much more experience under your belt and have more confidence than you had before because you know you can do it.

    Well done Miss M, a bad day is just that and means tomorrow will be better. Congratulations for recognising how it happened and finding the lessons. I'm so proud of you xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie you're absolutely right. I ignored all the little warning signs and paid the price. But today is a better day and all the changes that needed to be made have been and its onwards and upwards :-) Thanks for your support and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete