Monday, August 8, 2011

MY TRAINING STUDIO



For some time I've been meaning to share my home training set up at our new(ish) house. At the end of our back garden we built this shed which I call my training studio. Its not very big (our block is only 8m wide and it almost goes from fence to fence) but we've made it into a great functional space. I really wanted a double glass sliding door to it but the (frugal) project manager and maker of all things happen - my husband Peter, vetoed that due to budget constraints. I got a full glass door instead and it works almost as well to make the room light and bright instead of a dark hole.


Stepping inside my parlour and this is what awaits. I've had my own rack for a few years now and its priceless. With it there is just so much variety in how I can train and I need that to relieve the inevitable boredom we all feel at times. Everything has its place but can easily be accessed and there is just enough floor space in the foreground to work in albeit mindfully of your surroundings.




The side view shows Peter's rowing machine folded up in the corner. He uses this religiously, never complaining that it needs to be folded down and then folded back up again. The picture on the wall is my comp pic with my medals immortalised in frame and yes there is an ancient exercise bike in the other corner. We've started considering purchasing a spin bike which we'll probabaly do over the coming weeks. Mind you I still ride the ex bike sometimes and it still works on those rainy days when you dont want to be outdoors.


You cant have a training studio without entertainment facilities. Yes there is a TV, stereo, iPod dock (not shown) and DVD player. I always listen to music when I train but Peter will watch Sky News while he rows. Oh and yes thats the air conditioning you see on the speaker by the door - otherwise known as a fan LOL.




And finally here is the view of the other end which has sinced developed into a Scalextric racing track and a train track thanks to many hours of hard work by Peter. There's also a little work bench where Peter and our son make models.

At our last house we had oodles and oodles of space and all of this was spread out over many rooms or in a large garage. Now that we live compactly its a case of using the space wisely so that everybody's needs are met even if its with some compromise. I love this set up and have easily adapted to the less space. It lets me keep up some weight training without taking out expensive gym memberships that I would find hard to use due to time constraints. Any time I want to train, its a short walk through my back yard to this studio.

:-) M

3 comments:

  1. Awesome set up Magda! I keep saying to Mal he needs to build me a shed for my gym gear ... I don't think it's going to happen though :-)

    Cheers

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magda, I love the way you've made optimal use of the limited space...we are about to move to a house where the bathroom is quite a bit smaller than what we've had for the past 12 years, but I'm enjoying picking out fittings that will make the best use of the room's size (or lack of it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle my bargaining chip was the room for the boys' playspace so it was all pretty sure to happen LOL.

    Sandra in some things I'm now convinced size DOESNT matter. We've traded it for location and I couldnt be happier. Plus our house is very comfortable for the three of us.

    ReplyDelete