Tuesday, October 30, 2012

GRIZZLING

It irks me no end when my body doesn't work properly.  

For some time my right ankle/achilles has been playing up. At first it was occasionally when I wore high heels to work but its now constant. I'm having major problems extending my foot and shortening my achilles. Last Thursday I was to attend a very high level meeting so I dressed in my Alanah Hill suit with a matching pair of high heels to look the part. Well by lunch time I concede defeat and hit the mall for a pair of matching flats. I could not bear to walk in the heels. I've worn mainly flats or very low heels since then. Even putting on a pair of heels at dinner out on Saturday night (I walked to the restaurant in flats) was very painful.

Ironically I've had no problem with running. Foot flexion is fine yet when I step on a downward sloping curb the pain is back. This morning I went to train legs after about 20 days of ignoring them (not because of this injury, I might add). Squats were fine but when I moved onto static lunges my right ankle just wouldn't cooperate. It was weak, unsteady and painful as soon as the foot moved into flexion. It even played up on both sides irrespective of whether the right foot was forward (worse) or if it was back.

Goddam!! I hate that. Not only do I suffer with an aching right hip and glute and occasional knee pain, now its moved all the way down. I modified my workout to include an extra set each of squats, deadlifts and hip thrusts but I swear nothing works as well as the static lunges :-( 

So I've bitten the bullet and made an appointment with a podiatrist and resigned myself to the fact that I will be told that high heels are banned (boo hoo that will really suck!!). But I just want to know what the problem is so we can fix it and get everything working properly again.

But all that aside, I'm actually in good spirits. I've cut the junk from my diet and the MM is now showing just above the weight I was when sick and (somewhat) dehydrated. I'm pretty happy with that. I'm waking up about 2 minutes before my alarm and that indicates I'm happy and keen to train. I'm having a green smoothie on most days (even though it has no 'cleansing effect' whatsoever) and I'm sleeping well. Maybe I should celebrate the positive and not whinge about the negative but its not too much to ask is it, that my foot work properly to allow me to do normal every day activities without pain?

M

 

No comments:

Post a Comment