Monday, October 22, 2012

MY FIRST GREEN SMOOTHIE


 
 
On Saturday morning I whipped up my first green smoothie - or 'green chunky' was a better description. I used 12 organic spinach leaves, 1/2 organic lebanese cucumber, 1/2 organic pink lady apple and an over-ripe home grown lime. Hmmmm, interesting combination.
 
 
OK I didnt put a lot er, much effort into its presentation but here it is served up ready to drink/eat. That whole lot (thats a 400ml glass) went down the hatch and I almost felt instantly *different*. Its like my stomach went "WHOA, what's that???" It wasnt bad but it sure was unusual. Did it have a cleansing effect? No but I could feel my insides churning which I took as a good thing.
 
I've had 2 more since then but am unsure if I'll make it a daily thing. Lets just say, the jury's out on that one.
 
The other thing I want to try is a daily probiotic. I know next to nothing about these so its internet research time before I venture out with some knowledge of what to buy.
 
Wrapping it up for tonight but have lots more to write about shortly.
 
Cheers all
 
 
M


12 comments:

  1. That's interesting one Magda, I have had a few green smoothies, but found the prep and cleanup etc before work too time consuming... I wonder if you would notice more of an effect after 2 weeks as per the - http://www.greensmoothiechallenge.com/... Hmmm now that I do have more time in the morning and we are coming into Summer I will think about it... I know in summer I do like something cooling and refreshing for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try using an apple or pear as the base of your smoothie - makes a big difference to the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy I found it prepared fairly quickly once the blender got hold of all the ingredients. After I just rinsed out the jug and lid and that didn't take very long either. Plus I mixed up Monday morning's smoothie on Sunday and just kept it in the fridge ready to drink on Monday.

    Hi Liz, I think it was the texture that was unusual more than the taste. Having some apple and (semi-sweet) lime in it rescued the 'greenness'. Spinach doesn't have a bad taste and cucumber is refreshing so that combo worked ok for me. Kerry did recommend celery but I detest the taste so that was given a big miss. I'll certainly have it again, just probably not every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add more water to it to thin it down a little, and drink it slowly, don't skull it. You won't taste the celery at all Magda.... trust me!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Kerry. Me + raw celery is a partnership that will NEVER happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give the Golden Circle probiotic juice a try, Magda. I had a bit of a *ahem* traffic jam going on recently so grabbed a bottle and chugged down a small glass daily for a few days. I don't know whether it was coincidence or not, but things got moving pretty quickly. The breakfast juice is good - apple, orange and pineapple, I think from memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kerryn, that's really interesting as all the stuff I've read about probiotics says they help diarrhoea and not the opposite. Its worth a try though.

    ReplyDelete

  8. The smoothies will clean you out a bit for a while til your digestive system gets used to them. Stick with it Magda, lots of live enzymes in your fresh smoothies. None is processed juice. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kerry. I'll be back on them tomorrow hoping you are right. 3 big smoothies over 3 days last weekend and there was no 'cleaning out' :-(

    M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geez Magda! Where are you storing it??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Kerry. 3 smoothies in 3 days (again) and I'm looking 5 months pregnant and no signs of movement. Fibre sup to the rescue tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete