Monday, October 29, 2012

I CANT BELIEVE I'M DOING THIS ....

On Sunday 11th November I'm starting on a Learn to Row course that will run for 5 weeks. I believe I have to do 2 courses before I'm considered a competent rower and can join a rowing club, if that's what I want to do.

I got interested through a friend of a friend. She rows socially and on the rare occasions that we've met at our mutual friend's place she has been encouraging me to join their group. "Just come on down to West Lakes on a Sunday morning  and row with us. We have a lot of fun and then we all have coffee and a catch up after." That sounded good to me.

So that got me thinking that I wouldn't mind giving it a go but if I joined the group I'd like to know what I was doing hence I'm doing the LTR course first. I'm so nervous yet I'm so excited. I wonder how I'll compare to the other participants - if they're a bunch of strapping young fit teenage or early 20s boys then I'm going to be like their old and unfit nana LOL. But I'm secretly hoping I can hold my own amongst people of a similar age group and lifestyle (think office worker who sits on their b*m all day). Hopefully my weight training has developed enough strength that I wont embarrass myself even though I'm not overly strong and able to lift heavy sh*t.

I must ask Peter to show me how to set up our home rower for a few practice runs before the course. Which is timely really as my left ankle/.achilles is giving me major grief and whilst I can still run (its foot extension and shortening of the achilles thats very painful) getting some aerobic exercise off my feet is probably a good thing. Plus, did you see the female rowers at the Olympic Games? Peter and I were outwardly admiring their physiques. Yes I'll have me a bit of that thanks :-)

M

5 comments:

  1. How exciting! I'm sure you will have a blast plus you get to meet a new group of people.

    The rowers at the Games looked fabulous, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rowing!!! Ive never done it "for real" but I get a really good workout on my gym's rower, for some reason it's the least used machine...it's one of those things that only those 'in the know" can understand I think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Michelle I've got my hopes pinned on it all being good - especially if my physiqyue ends up looking anything like the Olympic rowers LOL.

    I've always loved it too Sandra. Whenever I get on our home rower I go for ages and end up giving myself a chaffed bum and then dont go on again for ages. Its such a great full body workout without stressing joints through high impact moves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my daughters has just started rowing and I'm doing some strength and conditioning for the rowing club! Fun times!! Enjoy :) You need powerful legs and a strong core - then you won't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Liz. I've been working on improving my core strength for some time now and its significantly better than it was. As for legs..... well there's plenty of room for improvement there. They've never been particularly strong but I guess I'm still fitter than the average 49 year old public servant. Bring it on, I say and good luck to your little Lucy :-)

    ReplyDelete