Tuesday, October 9, 2012

FIBROBER - DAY ONE

Phew. I sure dont need another day like today.
 
My boy was up with the vomits overnight. This meant a big chunk of lost sleep on top of the inevitable clean up. After finally getting back to sleep at a very early morning hour (about 4.30am) I was woken at 7.30 for round 3 :-( I think I've washed just about every hand towel, some bath towels, his quilt cover and PJs in what felt like an endless round of laundering bliss (NOT!!). As I've juggled all this plus a trip to the shops for chicken stock (because chicken soup cures everything), my own meals timed around the vomiting episodes, a bit of ironing, work emails, a much needed afternoon nap and the obligatory checking of FB, the thing that didnt happen today was my leg training. Such is life but I thought it more important to be on hand if required as my studio is at the back of our yard.
 
As far as food goes, today turned into an 'accidental vego day'. Brekky was my signature porridge (sultanas, bran, oats, egg whites and LSA) eaten way later than planned due to the above. If I'm home at lunch time I like to make something fresh and save the 'planned leftovers' to take for a work lunch. So today I whipped up a vege omelette with a couple of eggs, a little low fat mozzarella and onion, zucchini, mushroom and spinach leaves. Then I devoured a large brown pear which is the king of high fibre fruits. I had defrosted what I thought was a kangaroo fillet to stir fry with Gourmet Garden Moroccan Seasoning and veges for dinner but looking closely at and smelling the fillet, I realised it was actually a bit of steak which I decided to donate to Peter's cause. So at the last minute I changed course in my dinner prep and added to my stir fried veges 1/2 can of drained chick peas and 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice. This change boosted my fibre grams from 29.8 (yes I'm logging on Calorie King) to 35!!! My serve of chick peas alone had 9.4 grams of healthful fibre.
 
It wasnt hard to keep calories in check today but I did notice that my protein intake was lower than usual and carbs were higher (duh, of course!!). The other thing that I noticed was that although my dinner serve was large in quantity (close to a pasta bowl full of food) it didnt really fill me up. I could easily have eaten as much again. I guess thats the difference between the filling power of protein (think meat, eggs etc) vs foods that pretend to be both but are higher in carbs (think chick peas).
 
BTW yesterday I managed to have 35 grams as well and I learnt that a Slim Secrets Rev-Up bar has 4.8 grams of fibre. Who'd have thought??!! At this early stage of my experiment I'm still using a fibre supplement when needed but hoping that it becomes unneccesary down the track. It just shits me (LOL sorry about the pun) when it doesnt work :-(
 
M

6 comments:

  1. It's actually quite surprising how hard you have to work to get that fibre in there Magda. I've done the CK thing too and been amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm finding that Liz. Some foods that I thought were high in fibre have hardly any in a moderate serve (eg brown rice). And you need to eat a LOT of veges for the number to creep up. Yesterday's omelette hardly made a difference. Interesting exercise though.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green smoothie in the morning Magda! cucumber, celery, spinach, apple, pear add water and blend! Problem solved. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once I get a blender in NZ I'm trying Kerry's smoothie, may just add protein powder and ice, sounds like a nice simple recipe with ingredients I usually have on hand, Otherwise as a joke I was gonna suggest have a good quantity of red wine after tea, along with water. That does it, but sleep is poor so I don't recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I havent had the guts to try a smoothie yet Kerry. I have a blender but not a juicer so I'm not sure how well it will work. I guess I wont knowe until I try it. Thanks

    Pip, what is it about alcohol that makes you go??? Mind you, my normal intake doesnt have that effect but when I have several drinks it works a treat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magda, - I think it's the quantity! A modest glass, (150ml) or even two modest glasses, (300ml) doesn't have that effect! You need at least the full 750ml bottle of red, (it can happen with white too, but red does the cleanse better!) I'm not endorsing it of course as the other side affects aren't so good ;-)

    ReplyDelete