Monday, October 8, 2012

MY NEXT MINI PROJECT - FIBROBER

Now that I'm back into my usual routine and the holiday fades into a recent and then distant memory, its time to embark on my next mini project.
 
Last month I tried going dairy free and that flopped badly. In all honesty my skin cleared up of its won accord and in my head the jury's still out as to whether dairy or soy are the greater evil. Now this is important to me as I CANNOT drink back coffee and taking away my skim cappuccino is just not on. I don't drink a lot of coffee but geez I enjoy what I have. Add to that the WPI I take after weight training and having just recently invested in a large tub made me realise that dairy free just wasn't stacking up. I lasted but a few days and then happily gave it away. Maybe another time?
 
However my next project is an important one for me. I'm on a mission to get enough fibre in my diet and my goal is to be 'naturally regular'. This is something I've struggled with just about my whole life and I still remember the one time that things seemed to work properly. Some decades ago I was having trouble with my gums and eating meat was often uncomfortable so I went vego for a while. I did a good job of it too, carefully food combining so that I was getting the right balance of nutrients. Almost daily I ate brown rice, salad or veg and legumes (mixed beans, chick peas, lentils etc). Well after a while of eating this way, lo and behold things started working properly without any intervention. Hooly dooly, I was very happily amazed. Not sure why I stopped (probably the convenience factor of friends and family having to cater differently for you) but I did and things went back to my old norm. Incidentally I remember that I managed to control my weight fairly easily as well, debunking the body building myth held by some trainers that vegetarian is NOT a good way to eat. Admittedly I wasn't weight training at all back then and yes I do know of some very lean and muscly body builders that have plant based diets so I put that last comment up with some trepidation.
 
So recently my diet has been mainly Paleo with the exception of oats or a slice of toast for breakfast. Although I drink lots of water and eat fruit and lots of vegetables, its just not cutting it for me and over the weeks my system has gotten slower and slower. I guess at the end of the day for me Paleo works a treat for dropping body fat but its just not the best thing for me over all. Thanks to Calorie King I've researched the fibre content of foods I'm likely to eat and have reintroduced Burgen rye bread and brown rice at lunch time. Add a brown pear and a medium-high fibre brekky and I should hit my daily target of at least 30g of fibre. I suspect I might need a bit more than that but its a good start. I've even considered aiming for a day or two eating vego again.
 
Needless to say, I'll be interested to see what my weight does with this change but as always I'm up for a bit of 'suck it and see'. So lets get Fibrober under way.
 
M
 
        
 
 

6 comments:

  1. uh, you nearly cracked me up with "Fibreober" - with paleo diets, you need to remember to really crank up the water due to the higher protein content but whatever works is my rule of thumb. I don't subscribe to any one way of eating these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a great goal - it's bloody miserable being constipated.

    Paleo made me very, very sick - and I was eating masses of veggies and fruit, plus cheating by having oats most days. Excruciating gut pain and a disruption to my normal "inner workings" had me seeking medical advice. Turns out, too much fibre is just as bad as not enough for some of us. :/

    Good luck with the Fibreober challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz, any more water and I couldnt function normally. I can just tell that my body is happiest when it gets some starchy carbs at lunch time. And I agree about ways of eating. I'm not sure that the cavemen or women sat down to a glass of wine and a bowl of chilli garlic olives either so I use the term very loosely.

    Thanks Charlotte. I just had to follow the latest trend of describing new challenges by blending the challenge name with the name of the month. Interesting result, Hey??!!

    Kek, I too have had days where a high veggie intake made me feel really uncomfortable. Now it'll be less veges and more starchy carbs and I think my body will be happier all round. Bring on the 'naturally regular' coz being clogged up stinks (hahaha)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck Magda! Look forward to hearing how ya go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Pip, I'll be blogging about it that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete