Monday, October 15, 2012

FIBROBER - THE SAGA CONTINUES

I was back at work today firing on all cylinders with a LOT of catching up to do. Phew, it was a busy day. I've decided not to keep logging my food as it takes up a fair bit of time and puts me back into that anal and obsessive mode thats not good for me over the longer term. After a week of doing it, I have a pretty good idea of my intake anyway and I can get close to the mark even if I dont hit it. I've picked up lots of interesting tidbits like:
 
1. Brown rice is actually not very high in fibre (but its better than white rice).
2. Wholemeal pasta is higher than brown rice (I rarely eat it though)
3. Burgen rye bread rocks for high fibre so I try to have at least 1 slice/day.
4. Pears are the king of high fibre fruit - lucky I love them and devour a hard, brown pear every day (you can keep the juicy ripe ones - blah)
Plus a whole lot of other rivetting facts.
 
Something I like to do when looking into health matters is to check the Chinese medicine philosophy on the issue so I did this on Friday night and found some more interesting info. The CM philosophy for combatting constipation is to lead a 'consistent lifestyle' (as well as the usual dietary considerations that every man and his dog know about). And I think this is where I really fall down.
 
All week I eat well and keep my water intake up (ticking all the boxes to combat the dreaded 'c' word). Then on the weekend I get up later, train later, eat MUCH later and therefore less (often skipping lunch on a Saturday and Sunday) and dont drink as much water as I'm on the go all day and dont want to be chained to a toilet. My system is living 2 lives and the weekend life isnt doing anything to help my cause.
 
*sigh* I know what needs to be done but making the change wont be easy. Although having said that I've resorted to taking my fibre supps again and am now suffering gripy pains :-( possibly from too much fibre. God give me strength to work this out.
 
On a non-Fibrober note, I jogged for 40 minutes today but was back to my usual Cliff Young shuffle pace. I guess not every run can be amazingly awesome.
 
M

5 comments:

  1. When stone fruit comes into season, make sure you get a piece of that a day...nectarines do it for me every time ;-)...and I also love prunes all year round.
    Have you seen Kek's poached Summer fruit recipe? I love it, full of stone fruits, a yummy fibre hit!
    Hope you find normalcy soon, really feeling for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Burgen Rye! I love that stuff too! Yeah it is interesting, wholemeal pasta has more than brown rice, I actually like eating a meal of a little wholemeal pasta, lots of veg, some tomato based pasta sauce, some strips of lean meat topped with cracked pepper and a tiny bit of parmesan as a meal the night before a big run or race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I love stone fruit too and I might just swap my morning porridge sultanas to prunes for an extra boost. Thanks Sandra.

    That sounds like a yummy combo Pip. I'll have to make it for myself sometime. In the meantime though, Burgen rye ROCKS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Magda, I like my pears crunchy rather than juicy too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte, its crunchy or its in the bin (or a cake). I'm the only pear eater in our household :-)

    ReplyDelete