Thursday, August 23, 2012

MY SECRET INGREDIENT

Well after a tumultuous last week of grumpy early mornings, hissy fits, swearing like a wharfie and just being a big sissy, I'm proud to boast of my amazing turn-around this week. So what's my secret weapon, my secret ingredient? Drum roll, please .......... going to bed earlier.
 
Yeah I know, I'm a total nana but just getting off to bed about 15-20 minutes earlier (a bit more on some nights) has made the WORLD of difference. I cut my social networking time down a little and get in some reading to make me really sleepy so then I easily fall asleep between 9.30 and 10pm. I've been waking up before my alarm. I feel rested and at that hour of the day there is only one thing to do ... GET UP AND TRAIN.
 
This week I've managed 4 solid days and I know tomorrow will be number 5. I even got out this morning despite a dreadful weather forecast. Well it WAS all quiet at 5am so I dressed for my run and was on my way by 5.15. At just before 5.25 I saw the first lightening flash followed by the clap of thunder and sure enough the rain wasnt far behind. Fortunately I do a lot of my running along a road with shops and cafes which have decent verandahs so when the rain hit - and it was fierce - I was under cover and just stayed there running laps in front of 3 or 4 shops. I managed 45 minutes and hardly got wet despite a couple of torrential downpours. GO ME!!! Tomorrow I'm weight training so it doesnt matter what the weather does.
 
The funny thing is, when I make my training a priority and modify my lifestyle to support it, I find it easier to eat well and maintain a really positive headspace. Its like one little good thing, leads to another little good thing, leads to another ... you get my drift. Before I know it, its all just happening in beautiful synchronicity and I feel like I'm slaying dragons.
 
Can you tell, I'm pretty happy about this??
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, Magda!

    Ah, it's so much easier when you wake up early naturally. Cannot wait for warmer weather and lighter mornings. Boo, winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo indeed. I'm totally over it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing what a difference just a little extra sleep can make? Good on you Magda, it takes discipline (especially getting away from the computer or iphone before bed!) but its really worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete