Thursday, August 30, 2012

EXTRA SESSION VS REST DAY

Well yesterday was a bit all over the place again. The school called me at lunch time to pick Mitchell up as he wasn't well. I wasn't surprised because he wasn't 100% in the morning but we didn't think he was sick enough to be home either. At least he gave it (school) a go.

So there I was with another 1/2 day off work and wondering how best to use it, especially as in the middle of the week the house doesn't need cleaning and there wasn't enough washing to justify a load. After checking FB (again) and blogging I had some spare time to burn. I decided to do Friday morning's weights session - shoulders, bis and tris. Now I'm still at the mercy of some pretty fierce chest DOMS and the shoulder work was pretty tough as I pushed through that pain but I got it done. I cant tell you how good I felt when I wrapped it up knowing that the week's weight training was done and that I'd added the extra session going to two upper body sessions instead of one.

Over dinner last night I was pretty smug with myself telling Peter that I ws ahead on my training and could now have Friday off (I would have done my 4 runs by then as well.) Oh the joy of no alarm and a lie in :-) So why did he ruin it for me by urging me to get up and do an extra session?? 

Me: "But I've done all my muscle groups and they need a rest before I train then again."
Him: " So do something else."
Me: "4 runs / week is a safe option. I don't want to risk overdoing it and aggravating my back."
Him: "So do a bike ride or a row."
Me: just looking exasperated - this is not how I wanted the conversation to go. 

I now have this niggling voice inside my head going "do an extra session. do an extra session." battling with the voice reassuring me that a rest day is well deserved (but I usually don't train on Saturdays either.)

So, which voice do I listen to? Extra session or rest day? 

M   

2 comments:

  1. Nice job for getting all your training in early!!! Hmm, extra session sounds good, however just don't feel disappointed if you can't manage the extra session in each week, just feel elated when ya do!

    Or how about switching your routine up by ensuring you remain adaptable to change, not ever heading toward a possible rut. Such as tomoz off, train Sat, have Sun off or do a family activity together. When in the zone, if I have more than one day off in a row I seem to then find it harder getting back into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pip. Saturday training is very much hit and miss here. Its such a busy morning that I consider a training session to be a bonus. Mind you, with Fathers Day on Sunday (and our traditional family breakfast in bed) my Sunday run is looking doubtful. Hmmm I see an unavoidable change in routine coming up (shaking nervously!!) LOL.

    M

    ReplyDelete