Thursday, May 3, 2012

PRESSING 'REPEAT'

One of the things I love about blogging is the inspiration you draw from fellow bloggers. When I'm stuck in my rut and set in my ways its enlightening to read another perspective or another's experiences which then sparks a different train of thought within me. I'm referring specifically to KatieP from head-heart-health who earlier this week posted on FB that she was attempting to give up smoking ... again.

There was lots of support and advice for her, some of it being around dealing with addictions and it got me thinking about my own struggle with binge eating. I'm not sure I'd label it an 'addiction' because there have been (many) times when faced with a situation that would cause me to binge, I've chosen not to. But then there are many more times when I do (binge). Its a tough one. If I liken that to quitting smoking perhaps then I was in an "I've quit" phase only to later relapse, like many smokers do by going back to their habit/addiction.

Now here's something many of you might not know... I too have been a smoker and I have successfully quit (last one was several years ago.) But the journey to quitting was not easy or straightforward with many relapses over several years. However there is no going back for me now, despite having the rare thought about it, I know its not a thought that I'll ever indulge in or follow through.

So how did I do it?

1. The time had come that I really wanted to quit. My husband detested it and I smoked in secret. I hated living my life that way.

2. I remember getting a cold that was nastier than usual so there was this physical opportunity to say "enough" and whilst I had the cold I didnt crave cigarettes anyway.

3. I took myself out of situations where I would smoke. Avoidance therapy maybe? Who knows but it does work.

4. When the cravings came I just didnt give in and it wasnt long before they left and I was still smoke-free.

But method aside, the really important thing here is that I did it then so I can do it now with binge eating. I had it in me to tough it out and stick to my resolve and it goes without saying how much better I felt after quitting not just physically but emotionally too.

I'm not in a risk period now for binge eating but when it comes around again (and it will) maybe I need to dig deep into that place where I had the grit, the smarts and the determination to quit smoking and press 'repeat.'

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Magda. I just need to keep reminding myself that "I did it before, so I can do it again"...you'd hope so, wouldn't you...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, I could easily mount a counter arguement but thats being counter-productive. At the end of the day I believe its true that whether you think you can or you think you cant, you're correct. Even if you (we) have to remind ourselves over and over. Are you still heading to Adelaide this month?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about Adelaide...would like to but things on the home front are a tad hectic and I am not in the right mindset to not be here for four days...plus did I ever tell you I hate flying?...will have to decide soon. xo

      Delete
  3. I swear I wrote today's post before I read this :D

    I don't think the bingeing is the addictive behaviour, I think it's the dieting. Crazy I know -- but it's the way I got past bingeing entirely (and I've stayed a stable weight for over a year now without even thinking about food/exercise).

    Just another way to look at things perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie, I tested that theory but for me it didnt work in the long term. Even after I swore off 'diet food' and ate what I wanted when I really felt like it, there still came a time when under pressure, or being paricularly stressed I resorted to binging again. I thought I was past it but I wasnt. Perhaps it comes down to triggers - not the physical ones - but the thought processes that accompany the physical situation. That was my SP's observation and her treatment was based on that - only I didnt keep following through on it.

    ReplyDelete