Friday, May 18, 2012

PARKING THE EMOTIONS - ENGAGING THE LOGIC

In my despearetly miserable headspace of late, I have entertained many a wierd and wonderful thought - some healthy, some not so. Two of the thoughts in my head have been "I need a life coach" and " I need a psyche". I honestly didnt know what I needed, I was just desperately grasping at straws.

Well I can tell you what I needed. I just needed to have heart to heart, warts and all talk with my wonderful husband who knows me better than anybody. He knows I'm very sensitive so he started gently but he firmly drove his point home hitting the nail right on the bloody head. Sometimes you just need to get out of your head and hear it like it is. Park the (Cancerian) emotions and engage the (Virgo) logic.

The conversation went something like this:

Peter: "So whats your plan for exercise next week?"

Me: "I'll get back into it." sounding very half hearted.

Peter: Blah, blah, blah (cant remember everything) but the upshot was him pointing out the following:

1. My current exercise (walking some mornings) is ineffective and a waste of time - and I know it. If I'm getting up at 5am then at least make it worth my while. Get back into weight training and be consistent.

2. Some weeks ago I made a decent effort to cut back my alcohol and junky snacks and then I couldnt be bothered any more. I was firmly reminded (by that wonderful husband) that I used to have the mindset that I would do whatever it took to stay in good shape - train hard, eat well etc - and now its like I've waved the white flag and surrendered to overweight and frumpiness.Ouch - but dammit he's right.

3. I had a string of excuses and buts only to have each one shot down.

4. He pointed out that lately he's been more committed to exercising properly and watching what he eats than I have. This is a turn around as its always been the other way.

5. There was more talk and more tough love and with each point raised I knew he was absoultey right and it was time to pull my head out of the sand and get on with this. He said he'd support me in whatever I decided training wise, diet wise, even if I decided to accept where I am and NOT want to make any changes.

6. But he cleverly pointed out that with me its VERY much a case of "if the physical is not right, then the mental cant be either." No beating about the bush but that is me to the core.

7. At the end of the day, I have to ask myself if I'm happy as I am. And if I'm not then I have to put the hard yards in to fix it. Nobody said its an easy overnight fix but deep down I know its a step in the journey back to the new and improved version of good ol' me (if you know what I mean).

:-) M


3 comments:

  1. Wise man, your husband...geez we'll be a barrel of laughs next week...you have no idea how frumpy I'm feeling LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day at a time remember Magda. It's not that big a deal, it is what it is and you can turn it around. Always remember, you're not alone in feeling like this either. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Sandra, at least we'll be on the same page LOL. And you're right, my husband is a smart man who grounds me with cold, hard facts and an incredible understanding of what makes me tick.

    Hi Lia and thank you for your kind words and support. I have just under 5 weeks to make a bit of difference before our holiday in Singapore, then cruising, then Perth. But after that I have a year to get in shape for my 50th. That is my ultimate goal.

    M

    ReplyDelete