Monday, May 21, 2012

HONOURING THE THINGS THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO ME


Fridays night’s talk with Peter has really flicked a switch for me – a much needed flick that has changed my outlook on training, food and how I use that space between my ears. I have a calendar month (with 31 days in it) to make a positive difference before going on holidays instead of just wallowing in my “I’m fat and miserable” headspace.


Saturday started early with a Bikram yoga class where I really gave my all. The rest of the day was very busy even with no ice-skating as my boy was suffering a head cold and we had our fingers crossed he’d be ok to go to a friend’s birthday party and sleep-over that night. My food was a fraction of what it was over the last week (yep the comfort eating was happening again) but I hardly felt hungry as I threw myself into the busyness of the day. I felt great at the end of the day.
 

Sunday was Bikram yoga again although I was pretty tired after the Saturday class so my effort wasn’t quite as stellar. I have one more visit from this 10 class pass and then I’ll be breaking from Bikram for a while.  Again, really happy eating less, upping my protein and dropping lots of the more crappy carbs.


I went to bed last night feeling considerably lighter even though I know my weight would have changed very little, if any.
 

I have decided to commit to weight training again for a number of reasons. I like that it maintains/builds muscle for a non-squidgy look. I like that more muscle = higher metabolism or in my case – minimising metabolism slowing with age. I like that I have a pretty good set up in my studio at the back of our yard and I’m not restricted by class times or additional cost. And finally I like that it’s a step towards a lifestyle committed to being fitter and healthier. Hey, I’m never going to be rockin, smokin 50-year old from a daily walk and enough carbs to fuel me for a marathon LOL.
 

I guess one of the pivotal things that came out of Friday night is a realisation that over the last 5 years I’ve lived at both ends of the fitness and health spectrum. In 2007 I was training twice a day with no rest days and eating a very restricted diet as I prepared to compete in Figure. Everything about my life was extreme and it really took its toll on me physically and even more so mentally. It took me years to ‘recover’ and I eventually turned to distance running which of course I couldn’t keep up due to chronic injuries. I have sampled intuitive/mindful eating and had some periods of success but it bred laziness in me towards my training and for that and other reasons, it was never the perfect fit for me.


So I’m testing that happy medium on the fitness and health spectrum looking for a place where my daily choices serve me well in both the short and long terms. It’s sort of like looking beyond the tip of my nose if I’m serious about the future and honouring the things that are important to me.



Thanks for listening.



M

5 comments:

  1. I can certainly identify with the time taken to 'recover' after competing. Always a pleasure to listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember one of the 12wbt mindset lessons, with every breakdown there is a break through. As much as I dislike using mindset jargon, it sounds like you had a break through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Charlotte, I know I'm not alone there and its the main reason I havent done it again. It was worthwhile and rewarding to achieve my comp goal but it came at a very high price that I'm not preapared to pay again.

    Michelle, it certainly feels like it but I'm taking a more sensible approach by not going at it like a bull to a gate and then fizzing out after a couple of weeks. Previous 'breakthroughs' have seen me over-motivated and too gung ho which I then cant maiantain and end up falling in a heap again. Planning for it to be different this time.

    Thanks guys

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're sounding better, and I totally identify with your comment above about fizzing out after a couple of weeks of motivation. I've had a pretty crappy morning and one issue in particular which could jeopardise my going to Adelaide tomorrow. Fingers crossed, just warning you that I am not at "my best"...xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have everything crossed that you'll make it Sandra. We all have our ups and downs - if you'd have come last week I would have been a basket case (seriously!!). I look forward to telling you a funny story about the ups and downs just to put things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete