Monday, May 7, 2012

THE BACK VERDICT


I last went to my chiro in March when my back and everything around it was playing up badly. At the time I had some x-rays done and then my pain settled down and I didn’t need another appointment for treatment.  However, by the time my exams were over, I was well overdue for a visit and of course there was my x-ray result to follow up as well.
 

So, lo and behold my x-rays showed advanced degeneration between L5 and S1, or as my chiro called it ‘advanced arthritis’ which I swear makes me sound like I’m 80 years old so I’ll use the ‘degeneration’ term. Yep, we’re talking about bone on bone whereas the other spinal joints had the obligatory finger space between them. No wonder I get so much stiffness and soreness in the area and surrounds.
 

The prognosis was underwhelming – basically manual treatment as and when required; no long distance running (max of 30 minutes) and expect to be stiff when I first get up in the mornings. He didn’t have to say it but I know that any strength I can develop through lifting weights will only help me. What he did say though was that I needed to improve my core strength. I do work at it but not consistently enough to make a difference.
 

Having said all that, I got to bed later than usual last night and turned my alarm off to get some extra sleep. There’s always tomorrow when I’ll be firing on all cylinders after an early night tonight.








No comments:

Post a Comment