Wednesday, November 30, 2011

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR

Today was a classic example of "be careful what you wish for". Last night I was in a quandary about how I could change and evolve. I literally feel like I'm drowning in work, deadlines, mum duties, family responsibilities AND if all that wasnt enough to test me, I'm struggling with my eating and to some extent my exercise as well. I can sum November up in a few words: emotional and physical roller coaster. OVER. IT.

But that's not what tonight's post is about. Peter shared some BIG news at dinner tonight, news that will impact on us significantly. Today he was offered an Assistsnt Directors position at his current place of work but in a different section. He would be working with a colleague who he respects and gets along with really well. One aspect of his role is a line of work that he loves and is really good at. Some other aspects are not as exciting (welcome to the real world). He will accept the offer after sorting through handover issues with his current Director.

I'm really happy for him. He deserves this and will be really good at it. He's been unhappy with work for so long that this break through will hopefully get him out of his current negative rut. It's so good just to see him happy and excited about the prospect of this change.

But - and there's always a but isn't there - after my recent experience as Acting Director I'm very strongly of the opinion that there can only be one executive in a family with children. The demands on your time are too great and the other partner needs to pick up the slack and make sure the kid isn't neglected. As my parents get older, we'll be relying on them less and less meaning we need to be able to do more.

Ok "so what" you say. Well it makes me think again about my decision to keep studying. And I do this because although on the one hand I'd like to get a formal qualification, the reason for getting it is to advance my career. Where I work now (and I love it so I'm not looking to leave) the only way up is to a director's position. I would not invest the several thousand dollars for any other reason.

It's a tough one and I need to ponder it and weigh up how my heart feels and to a lesser extent what my head days. So maybe thats the change that I pined for last night. Delivered to me in an indirect way......maybe. Perhaps it's no coincidence that my uni application hasn't gone in it yet (due 9 December) and that Peter missed out on a job he recently applied for. Who knows??!!

M

4 comments:

  1. I agree Magda - it's impossible for both parents to be in high-pressure jobs. Which is why I never apply for promotions. :) My husband travels interstate most weeks and works long hours, plus carries a lot of responsibility. My job isn't a piece of cake, but the minute I walk out the door of an afternoon, I don't give it another thought till the next morning.

    I'm quite content to stay at my current level forever, and I refuse to take on extra projects that involve travel or longer hours. It would impact on our family, AND on my ability to train. I'm in a sweet spot with salary and benefits and complexity of work and I'm not moving.

    There are other things in my life that I throw my heart and soul into and that give me satisfaction; work doesn't need to be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great comment Kekky - you will know what the right thing to do is, I am sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerryn I totally get that and thought pretty much along the same lines myself - until recently when I liked the taste of being in the higher level position. There is some more thinking required and talking to Peter too. As Liz has said I will know what is the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magda - I put things on the workfront "on hold" while the girls were little.
    By the time Cassie was in Yr1 I'd been offered a full time position but not in my industry of choice...I then decided to start my own business and the rest is history.
    As the girls get older I find I have more time to devote to my work (which I love), and the business has grown to a degree that Hubby left his job of 20 years to come and work with me.
    We continue to grow and last August were recoginised with a National Award in our industry for highest growth for the last financial year...
    I am a firm believer that you CAN have it all - the juggling drives me crazy, but if I'm really honest, I wouldn't have it any other way ;-)

    ReplyDelete