Thursday, January 13, 2011

BEING GRATEFUL

I have been shocked and saddened beyond words by the devastation of the Quensland floods. Trying to fathom the impact on people who've lost loved ones, lost homes, possessions or who have barely survived has left me in tears many times. I have felt really down and depressed but I follow the news both via the internet and TV as much as possible. Not knowing is worse than being informed but feeling sad.

The disaster has been a reality check for me even though I'm 2000+ kms away. I lived in Brisbane for 2 years not that long ago and my in-laws now live on the Sunshine Coast after living for 10 years in Brisbane. It has a special place in my heart and my heart goes out to all my Blogger and FaceBook friends there.

This is no time to be stressing over our extra Christmas kilos. 

This is no time to be analysing why we havent succeeded in all of our attempts to lose or manage our weight. Nor to be agonising over our perceived inablility to manage our "eating issues."

For me, its just not right to be blogging about those trivial things now.

Instead I give thanks for ALL I have - my own bed to sleep in with my husband beside me. My son to hug when he returns from his extended holiday on the Sunshine Coast (yes it has been harrowing to have him there and us here in the midst of this tragic disaster). My pantry is full and our supermarket shelves are full of stocks. I can go to work in the CBD and maintain normality in my life (never thought that it'd be so precious LOL). 

For all of this I am truly grateful and my heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to all Queenslanders.

M

5 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about this and it is very hard for me to imagine the devastation and loss, it is heartbreaking. It must be even more real for you, knowing so many of those places. For me the towns they are quoting I have never been to, so just can't even visualise that damage, but if it was to happen in Tasmania I could visualise... So hard to comprehend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Magda:) You made me cry:) I really appreciate your kind words.

    We are still in shock up here in Toowoomba. The sun is finally out and the supermarkets are starting to get food in so things are looking a bit better. So terribly sad for those who have lost their loved one's.

    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shar, I know WA is suffering as well and its a sad that you are, to some extent doing it alone. Today there has been flooding in the SA Riverland and it barely made the news. In comparison to the Queensland disaster it has barely registered.

    Dear Kristy and Gillian I have posted a little extra that I found out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gillian, I hope you're OK - what you have been through up there.

    I'm really lucky, Shelley got her stuff out thanks to super Nicole here - we're really grateful....

    ReplyDelete