Monday, February 28, 2011

CRAP IN = CRAP OUT (OR CRAP NUTRITION = CRAP PERFORMANCE)

Today I'm feeling my age + 20. Physically I'm not in a good place and here's a bit of the low down as to why.

Yesterday's long run of 1 hour + 40 has left me really tired and sore. I can feel all sorts of aches through my hips and legs. I ran again this morning (in an effort to have Fridays as rest days and do my long runs on Saturdays instead of Sundays) but was slow as I gauged how much pain I could run through. I managed 40 minutes but my total distance was woeful due to lack of speed. Anyway I did the minimum required time so I've got to be happy with that.

I've also had a headcahe that has persisted all through yesterday and today as well. Panadol hasnt helped, nor has drinking lots of water yesterday. Not sure what its about but here's my theory:

Last week wasnt so good on the eating front. A change of routine with lots of different foods including sweets and alcohol more often than usual left me feeling a bit blah by the end of the week. My guess is that I became quite dehydrated. My vege intake also plummeted and you have the recipe for feeling physically less than optimal. Then add a nice long run to the mix and voila, the body has declared "I  CANT DO THIS!"

I'm aching like mad from the waist down, my head is thick and foggy and I feel like I need a good detox LOL. I guess on the up side, I can say that I have absolutely no desire to continue eating like that. Just having my usual breakfast and lunch has me slowly on the road to feeling better soon, I can tell.

Lets hope my theory is right and this is temporary and I handle my next long run much better. I have a "Recovery Week" (light training) this week so that should help too. Now pass me some more Panadol and a foam roller to release my sore ITBs.

Cheers

Magda

10 comments:

  1. Glad your back on track today.
    Hope the recovery week helps and your back running like a pro soon.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shar. This recovery week is badly needed right now. Plus some good clean eats again and I'm sure I'll be back to my usual fighting fit and strong self LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, Magda? You've hit the nail on the head...I also feel sluggish, hazy, and my joints ache like crazy after a week like you've described.
    I'm gearing up to a "no" or "low" sugar experiment...it's so hard, though...the stuff is addictive...

    Hope you're feeling better and "cleaner" soon.

    Sandra
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra I highly recommend toughing it out (the no sugar). I did it last year for several weeks and felt great. The first 5-6 days were the hardest as I'd been on a bit of a sugar bender before starting but once into it, I loved it. And yep I'm in desperate need of some good clean eats and I'll be feeling much better (just 2 days has made a difference already)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on finding your groove Magda!!! That you are still on fire and keeping on going is what matters, (and what champs and people who meet their goals are made of I think!)

    I know trying to cut carbs too much, or eat too much crap (or in my case replace some carbs with too much wine) does similar to me.

    Also in Perth it has been particularly hot of late and I note Adelaide has been quite warm too. So maybe if we choose to have some drinkies and or caffeine and run we REALLY need to focus on a high water intake and maybe sports drinks with the huge runs, hmmmm. I haven't tried a sports drink though.

    I guess as long as we keep plugging along and find what fits best before race day is the way though! I know you will do well and am loving your determination!

    Can't wait to meet you Saturday lunch.

    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magda, also remember sometimes we do just have some crap runs whilst in training... I was starting to feel down with my little runs, always sore feet and legs and not fun, but yesterdays run was fantastic and felt good.

    Too much processed or sugary foods definitely have an effect too though.

    See you Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Magda, most people would use a headache and a crap nutrition day as an excuse not to run! You should be proud that you didnt.
    I agree with Kristy too, some days in theroy should be good running days, but they are not. Some should be bad and they are good, the body decides really :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pip,

    yes I guess through all my ups and downs there is underneath a quiet determination to soldier on. The alternative (to give up) is FAR less attractive.

    Kristy you are SPOT ON. There are great runs and there are crap runs. Nutrition has a large bearing on this as do a whole lot of other factors - many of which I now realise were stacked against me. Onwards though.

    Hi Sam,

    I'm pretty diligent with my training and my coach keeps me accountable. I got out there and did it, even though I felt awful, because I couldnt bring myself to report in that "I couldnt be bothered" LOL.

    :-) Magda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Magda, a change of routine always throws me out of whack. Hope you are feeling better today. Cheers, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feeling MUCH better thanks Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete