Thursday, February 17, 2011

THE MIND WAS WILLING BUT THE BODY WASNT ABLE .....

... on my run this morning. I wanted to run at a good pace to bed down a slightly faster pace as my new norm. I'm really conscious that I've lost some speed between last year's HM and now.

But my left hamstring wasnt going to cooperate even after it was well warmed up and stretched at the 25 min mark (the stretch made it temporarily worse). I managed the hour but my distance was pretty woeful and I didnt finish on the usual runner's high. Instead I was just relieved that it was over. I iced the offending area which felt pretty good but it wasnt for long enough with so much to get through before work.

Tomorrow is a rest day before I attempt 1 hour + 30 mins on Saturday. I'm trying to ignore the warning bells going off deep in my subconscious telling me my body cant handle this volume and intensity of training. Instead I want to believe that all runners experience periodic aches and pains which are only temporary. I will be ok. As long as I'm sensible and committed to the other aspects of my ongoing rehab, all should be well.

M

4 comments:

  1. I hate it when that happens (mind being stronger than body). Hope those warning bells don't amount to anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah based on my previous injury and the effect that had I'm quietly nervous about the future but am trying hard to keep a postive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, can't find your email addy.

    Email me at sas2306@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite to our blog. Plans have changed and we don't want Dave's work knowing so have made it private.

    ReplyDelete