Tuesday, February 15, 2011

REVIEWING AND CONFIRMING THAT THE MATH DOESNT LIE

REVIEWING

This morning I met again with the Metal Monster to see if there was any change in my 500 grams off and then back on. Well there was, albeit a small 200 gram loss. Which got me thinking about the numbers.

I've been losing quite steadily and usually with a reasonable weekly drop. And I sort of expect it. After all, I'm running heaps with either long runs or sprint sessions. My diet is pretty good and I've been keeping my treats well under control. Add to this the absence of binge eating and you could say my ducks are pretty much all in a row to achieve success on the weight loss front.

So the 200 grams was a bit of a disappointment which got me reflecting over the week just gone. Hmmm dinner out on Wednesday night included a shared bottle of wine and dips with pita bread; a slight change to my breakfasts with baked beans in place of eggs on some days; Saturday night dinner for my SIL's birthday started with cheese and crackers (usually avoided these days) and although the meal was healthy I did probably eat a bit too much. Then I finished the night with dessert served with not one but two scoops of premium ice cream (rationale being that I needed the carbs for my long run on Sunday). Finally everything I ate on Sunday was sweet based (French toast made from Burgen muesli and fruit bread; an apricot /almond sate ball - sugar free but lots of natural sugar from the dried fruit - and then honey mustard chicken with balsamic roasted veges for dinner). So reflecting on all that I've reviewed my opinion to "Wow I'm glad I lost 200 grams."

All this drives a really clear lesson home. In the words of one wise mentor (hello Liz!!) "You cant out-train poor nutrition." Not that my nutrition has been THAT poor but its obviously not been as good as other weeks. Add the age factor** to this and the result is a go slower on the weight loss.

THE MATH DOESNT LIE

All this leads me into the next instalment of Magda's Musings (sadly quite neglected lately).

Where weight loss is the goal, the math doesnt lie. You can absolutely love and accept yourself. You can declare peace with all those body parts that you previously hated. You can get into a positive headspace and adjust your attitude accordingly. But at the end of the day its your eating (and to a lesser extent exercise) habits which will determine whether you get leaner, or not. If the changed thinking results in changed action then you've struck it. But if you only change your thinking and attitude and dont follow through with changed actions then a rocking body will likely stay well out of your reach. The math doesnt lie.

We all want different things and we make our choices accordingly. For some, having that peace and acceptance of themselves is paramount and thats ok. Some want a ripped, super fit look 24/7 and are prepared to put in the hard yards to achieve it. I salute them - but thats not for me.

You all know that for decades I struggled with yoyo dieting / strict diets / binge eating and round after round of weight lost and regained. It literally drained so much out of me until I finally realised that dieting wasnt the answer to long term weight loss and maintenance. But what was the alternative? I looked into intuitive eating and although there was lots about it that was appealing, deep down I knew that it would not help me to achieve a reasonable weight that I was happy with. I'm a carb lover AND I just dont get the "2 bites of something I love and stop because thats enough."

For me there is something in between. Something that doesnt resemble a diet where I stress over macros, calories and swear off certain foods. But something that has more discipline than what would be my intuitive choices given a free reign to eat what I wanted. A middle ground where I make good choices and take ownnership of my decisions, keeping in mind that the math doesnt lie.

So there you have my take on this potentially hot topic. I know there is a vast range of opinions based on different personal experiences and I'd love to hear them.

Cheers all

M


** Irrespective of what science says, there is a definite slowing down of weight loss as you get older. Just ask anybody over 45 and they'll confirm that the weight doesnt drop off like it used to in our 20s and 30s. You have to work that little bit harder for it.

6 comments:

  1. You're right Magda. Numbers don't lie - what people forget is that data needs to be collected over a period of time - basing things on one reading is just asking for trouble.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Magda. Intuitive eating doesn't work for me because my body tells me that I really need chips/lollies/chocolate etc and before I know it it becomes a daily (or several times a day) thing. I have to be mindful of what I eat (but not restrictive) and allow myself a splurge every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My take on intuitive eating (for myself) is this.

    I've never smoked or wanted to at all.........but if I did I'm sure it could easily come a 2 pack a day habit. A can of coke or Red Bull may become a staple brekkie along with developing a mental urge of wanting to eat the addictive salt/sugar etc.

    Intuitive eaters could use the excuse to not stop these habits because they feel they *need* them. Changing behaviours for the better could likely provide self discipline, beating mental and physical cravings.

    Of course different things for different people.........but you say it! For most of us a good fit lean body is the result of clean controlled eating and training over a good period of time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Numbers and photos Liz. (Although admittedly its possible to take a "good" photo vs a "bad" one just by varying lighting, posing etc.)I agree with collecting data over a period of time - after all it does take weeks to make significant changes. But even looking at a one week snapshot that hasnt given you the desired outcome can uncover some areas that need tightening.

    Absolutely Michelle. Given a free reign my diet would be a carb fest with added fats cause they taste SO good together. (Think raisin toast with lashings of butter, Bakers Delight scones with butter, toasted foccacias for lunch and pasta for dinner. My mouth is watering but god forbid what the scales would say - its not worth it).

    Pip, I know the issue of IE goes much deeper than my account of it but the stuff I've read and my own dabbling in it has shown thats its just not for me either under my present circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magda, I couldn't agree with you more -

    IE just didn't work for me. Tried it and ended up 7kg heavier at the end of the exercise. I think it requires a huge amount of self-discipline...just as much hard work as eating on a "plan"

    Yes, weight loss DOES get harder the older we get AMEN to you for admitting it!
    I remember when I was in my early 30's, if I noticed I'd put on weight, all it took was a couple of weeks of no treats - no cake with coffee, no dessert, replace snacks with fresh fruit, and voila! 3-5kg gone...
    Those were the days, now to lose that amount of weight requires so much more concentrated effort.

    Great post.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra, aaah the early 30s - a lifetime ago now LOL. But we work with what we've got and get on with it. Yes anybody who tells me that they lost weight without trying I class as a serial liar LOL. For weight to come off, actions have to change so that "it just fell off" BS doesnt cut it in my books. Yep concentrated effort is required.

    ReplyDelete