Tuesday, April 10, 2012

YOU WIN SOME, YOU LOSE SOME




Have you ever had one of those days when you feel like you suck at being a parent, you regret not starting some important project planning earlier and your plan for healthier eating falls in a heap due to the unexpected. Today I managed to tick every one of those boxes and subsequently ended up feeling pretty down and crappy :-(

The parenting stuff is not unique to me. The challenges I'm facing are pretty common to boys at age 9 and 10 but still that gives me little comfort. The project planning was delayed while our team worked through a couple of other major challenges that took up people's time. Regardless, now we're on a stupidly tight timeline that puts unnecessary pressure on the team and that doesnt rest easy with me.

As for the plan to get back to healthier eating let me just say, it ran into problems when the day turned into one of being out all day and having to rely on a cafe lunch, well after the normal lunch time. The other thing I'm finding is that its really hard to cut off the processed carbs. After eating too many over Easter, they've almost become an addiction and I'm craving them more and more. Not surprisingly, the more of them I eat the worse I feel yet I still want more and more. Drug (??) addiction anyone??? Or I'll rephrase that ... "white flour and sugar addiction anyone?"

So to put the final nail in today's coffin I also missed doing any exercise due to a family sleep-in (nobody got up early today) and an early podiatrist appointment for my boy. I guess in the scheme of "you win some, you lose some" today would have to go down as a "lost some." I still have tomorrow off work and I'm making no big claims or promises but Thursday (back at work) will be 10 weeks to holidays and time to get my shit together ... NO EXCUSES.

M

3 comments:

  1. Magda - I wish I had some advice for you but you've just about described my situation word for word...a couple of very early mornings led me to not so wise food choices, and yes, the two days ended up being one big white sugar and flour *fest*...and of course the more tired I get, the worse choices I make. I plan to make some soup for tonight in an effort to cleanse my system a bit and start off tomorrow with a good night's sleep. One step at a time.

    As far as the parenting goes, my girls are a little bit older than your boy, and I'm finding with Cassie in particular that I'm a tad more relaxed than I was with Maddie...as long as they're healthy and (mostly) happy, it all works out in the end. Don't be too hard on yourself - you're doing a great job. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go by the simple 3 S plan - no shit, no sugar and no seconds. Everything else is fine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you Sandra. I know it'll all be ok, just got a bit annoyed that my plans fell in a heap. Onwards to better times.

    Great saying Liz. You could write a diet book on that??

    ReplyDelete