Wednesday, April 11, 2012

DESTINATION: HAPPY WEIGHT

There comes a time in everyone's life when you wake up, smell the coffee and realise that you've been kidding yourself and your 'plan' just aint working. That day was yesterday and today just went on to further confirm it.

Its not about meeting with the Metal Monster and being greeted by a number that starts with a 7. Its not about telling yourself that 'one more hot cross bun/piece of toast or cake with coffee doesnt really make a difference.' Its not about being 'good' all week so you can be 'bad' on the weekend. Its not about kidding yourself that the weight will miraculously disappear because you 'eat mindfully - some of the time.'

Its all of those and more that come together and result in bad habits and poor choices dominating your (my!) eating habits. Since about November last year its been one struggle after another and overall no progress to getting back to my 'happy weight.' I'm sick of it. I'm sick of going to my wardrobe and picking through the few things that fit me now. I'm sick of the on again/off again mentality that's become my norm. I'm sick of the fact that I'm living a self destructive Groundhog Day  instead of being somebody who knows what has to be done and just gets on with it.

So today I made a decision to suck it up and do what I need to do to get to my 'happy weight.' Its about a plan. Its about action. Its about accountability and sticking with it for 10 weeks leading up to our holiday. Yep its 70 days and counting from tomorrow and my goal is 7 kilos. I know I'm going to have to work damned hard for it but its important to me. I truly believe that looking good at 50 (or thereabouts - I'm not quite there yet) doesnt just happen without there being some consistent good habits, discipline and hard work required to get there. And this is where I've been kidding myself for the last 5 or so months.

Some of you might *yawn* and lose interest in my fitness and weight loss focus over the coming weeks - so be it - but I need to write about my journey - ups and downs - no holds barred as is my style. Let the fun begin :-) :-)

M

6 comments:

  1. You can do it Magda! The result will be fantastic, - wearing what you want, feeling fit on that cruise!

    Day 3 of my challenge done and dusted! All good but today a real battle from only 4 hours in bed last night, (don't ask but no alcohol involved by me). Also due to change in routine and giving into temptation on my part, - I had two meals only an hour (one a unplanned Thai meal of 3 dishes and steamed rice but a moderate serve.) Had the Thai as I had an early knock off today, - and I could actually enjoy a lunch in the city instead of working through it! It was yummy. However combinations of this often lead me to wanting a bigger feast, then not train. The thought was still there, but the rest of day was balanced out with a hard training session done, (more than planned and felt not bad) and food only totalled maybe 1500-1600 cals max for day with good protein and carb portions so not bad! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magda, please don't apologize for stating your desires or wants on your blog, or your plans to get there.
    Yes there are some that will knock your plans and possibly tell you that you're somehow deluded because you aim to be the best version of you possible - and that may mean losing a little weight (been there, done that), but it's your life and your decisions - and you know what is best for you.

    Failure cannot handle persistence or consistency :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I for one look forward to your diet and exercise updates and the progress that I know will come as a result.
    A friend (in her early fifties) told me a few weeks ago "Work your butt off to lose whatever weight you need to now, because once you turn fifty, it gets a hundred times harder..."
    Good luck and go for it!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra, you've hit the nail on the head and I can feel it already with a year and a bit to go. Already the effort I've been putting in which I thought was reasonable, hasnt been enough. And it'll only get harder if I dont take action now. I want to reach 50 looking and feeling awesome not stuck in my current weight loss/gain Groundhog Day.

    Thanks Liz. I know I'm not happy as I am and its because I dont like being this heavy. Otherwise life is great - even when the study is bloody hard - I'm doing something I really want to do. So if I'm not happy then its up to me to shut up and fix it. I'm comfortable with that :-)

    Hey Pip, I'm in. Day 1 underway and looking forward to the next weigh-in starting with a 6 :-) Good work on your control around a potentially difficult situation.

    Thanks all

    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meh - waffle on all you like about weight loss....I am too. I went from a number in the 7's (nearly in the 6's) to a number in the 8's (nearly in the frakking 9's) in the space of 9 months and now I'm totally over myself and desperately want to lose weight before summer.

    50 is fast approaching but I am still convinced that I can be fitter and happier than I have before -

    AND SO CAN YOU! Fat BEGONE!

    Franks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frankie, I get that. There comes a time when enough is enough and if you're not happy then do something about it. I'm there now and damned if I want ANOTHER holiday where I'm uncomfortable in my skin and wishing I wasnt so heavy.

    ReplyDelete