Thursday, April 12, 2012

CONFESSION: DRIVEN BY VANITY

Today started with a check of measurements but no meeting with the MM (no need after yesterday's encounter). Then it was out the door for a decent early morning walk. 55 minutes later (and with arms and hands still cold despite wearing a long sleeved warm hoodie) today's exercise was done and dusted :-) Its still my favourite way to start the day and only a year or so ago I was dreading giving up running and having to walk instead.

After two extra days off following Easter, today I was back at work and really busy. My meals were pretty much planned out with lunch packed for the day. One thing I have learnt is that as long as my meals are tasty and varied I dont feel like I'm on a diet. I also need the flexibility to choose what I want to eat so that I'm in control and the diet doesnt control me. Having said that, right now I need reminding about what is a reasonable amount of food because one of my pitfalls was sitting down with Peter for a glass or two of wine and accompanying nibbles several times a week. All too often the food consumed then was certainly NOT helping me to maintain let alone lose any weight. Slowly I'll rebuild my awareness of what works and what doesnt so that I can continue to enjoy this habit and not be a wet blanket by cutting it out all together.

I know that to be successful this time I need to maintain a positive headset, keeping in mind why I'm doing this and the benefits I'll get from it. I could bang on about being healthier and such but the truth is I AM healthy. I want to look better and feel better about myself. You could say I'm driven by vanity and I wouldnt argue. In fact, I'm planning to treat myself to a wardrobe styling assessment/makeover when I get to my goal weight and if thats not incentive to do this, then nothing is.

:-) M

4 comments:

  1. Magda, I for one am driven by vanity every single day. The minute we stop caring is when it becomes too hard to lose the weight, style our hair, put on some make up and think about what we wear...which brings me to your point of the wardrobe assessment. I have 10 or so weeks to my birthday, so have set a little challenge for myself, and if I get to that little "goal" my birthday present will be a wardrobe makeover...(Kek's looking damn good over there ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's well worth the money, ladies - definitely do it!

    Magda, I'm with you on the need to keep my food varied, tasty and interesting. Boring, bland food does not motivate me to stick to healthy choices and after a week or two of endless chicken & salad combos I'm entirely likely to run, not walk, to the nearest cake shop.

    As for the wine and nibbles, maybe stick to one glass and switch to a tasty dip with crisp veggies for dipping, some chilli-garlic olives, etc. I find skipping the crackers, cheese and other calorie-laden stuff isn't too hard if I stick with foods that still have lots of flavour. We sometimes do that on a Friday night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra, NO WONDER we are so in tune with each other. Driven by vanity!!!I totally agree with your perspective on grooming and maintaining a weight we're happy at. The bottom line is if I dont (feel I) look good then I dont feel good. Simple.

    Kek, thats exactly what I used to do - have a few chilli garlic olives, a few peanuts in their shells (clean them slowly and eat them slowly) and sip my wine slowly. But lately its been bowls full of salty nuts being wolfed down, cheese and crackers etc etc. Time to reign it back in.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to comment at work today but it didn't let me.

    I think it is totally natural to be driven by vanity.

    ReplyDelete