Monday, February 6, 2012

INJURED AND UNHAPPY

Today I'm suffering the effects of a chain reaction. My legs, hips, lower back and just about everything around there is in a lot of pain. I'm one unhappy camper :-(

Here is my theory on what brought this on. I'll try to be brief.

When I got my program from Hilde at Active on Line the lower body training had some power moves like jump squats and jump lunges. Of course I did them the first week but straight away I noticed a new wave of funny aches and pains (not DOMS) in my lower body so decided to cut them out and just do the exercises with weights.Things were generally going ok so last week I put the jump squats back in :-)

In the last few weeks I've been feeling pretty good physically and mentally so decided to put some jogging back into my training. I started out gently doing 1 song walking, 1 jogging. Then after a couple of weeks took it up to 2 songs jogging, 1 song walking. No dramas. All good. Last week, when pressed for time I did my first couple of 25 minute jogs. Light and easy. No sprints. No long times or distances. Feeling good.

Then last Sunday at Bikram yoga the triangle pose #9 on my left side resulted in a loud crunching sound from my groin. 'Hmmm, I'm sure I shouldnt be hearing that', I thought but carried on giving the class my best as always. This Sunday I again found the triangle pose really hard on the left side but did it to the best of my ability. By the end of the class I could feel my lower back getting tighter and more and more sore.

To make matters worse, I had to spend the day at my computer working on my assignment and by the evening I was in a lot of pain as I described at the start of this post.

So put all that together: jump squats + jogging + intense triangle pose that my groin couldnt handle + a LOT of sitting at the computer and you have a recipe for disaster.

I've been to the chiro today and even he was amazed at how tight my adductors were. Needless to say his treatment was excruciatingly painful and will take some time to kick into effect. I've been ordered a couple of rest days as well.

But the most challenging bit is to NOT get depressed over this. I cant change the fact that I'm angered and frustrated when my body lets me down. I've not been to work, I've not studied nor have I done anything much constructive and I'm fighting off the waves of feeling sorry for myself, remembering all too well the last time I fell into a depression over this type of injury. But I must keep reminding myself that it is temporary. I can ride this out. It will all settle down and I'll be back feeling good again. My chiro is a miracle worker and he has worked his magic. Now I just need to rest and let my body heal while I keep my mind healthy and positive.

M

5 comments:

  1. My turn to send you some positive thoughts gorgeous girl. You will get better, just hang in there. Much love, xo S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandra. Now off to bed with a hot lavender bag.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Magda,

    It sounds like it's time to really listen to the body again! Right now some good rest is in order and then it sounds like it's time for some lower impact exercises. Also you most probably want to reduce the length of your sessions to make it achievable each week. Email me with what the physio says and we can put together a plan of attack!

    Hope you are feeling a bit better tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magda, sorry to hear you are injured, hope your body is feeling better soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Hilde, I'll be in touch soon.

    Thanks Kristy. This is a real bugger :-(

    ReplyDelete