Wednesday, March 20, 2013

THE MAGIC PILL

So today my legs are sore but not as bad as I expected. Looking back they were far worse after the squat / DB presses that I incorporated into my 'upper body cardio' sesh  a couple of weeks ago. Life is full of surprises.

Today's workout was mixed cardio using both the rower and spin bike. Unable to face 40 straight minutes on the rower or bike, no matter how much I vary the programs or levels (intensity), I opted to alternate between the two and thankfully the time went much faster and I still managed a good workout. I've set myself a little mini challenge and that is doing 200 minutes of cardio each week. I'm not planning on dropping my weight training so I'll see how I manage this on the time that I have. 

I know a lot of people say that heavy weight training is more effective for weight loss but unless your diet is totally geared to support it (and mine isn't and I'm not prepared to make the required sacrifices) then for me cardio is a must. I've had some of my best drops in weight when I was running 3 - 4 x / week and weight training 3 x / week. Couple that with less carbs during the day, increased good fats and lots of salad / veg and the Metal Monster was coming to the party nicely each week :-) Shame my system didn't appreciate that lifestyle but I'm well on track for finding a happy middle ground, I think. Anyways, I'm a firm believer that we are all individuals and finding the right fit is an individual thing and not something you can copy from somebody else. Don't even get me started on all the different 'diets' or 'lifestyles' that are being touted on social media these days. (That's a whole other blog post).

Today I'll leave you with a quote that absolutely nails it on so many fronts:

The magic pill is .... YOU.

Thanks Mr Harper. Yet again, you are absolutely right.

Cheers all

M      

3 comments:

  1. Love that quote!

    I'm tired of getting hammered with all the different diets etc that seem to be doing the rounds at the moment. The funny thing is that I have seen it all before ... Paleo, Intermittant Fasting etc. It is kind of like religion for me - if it makes you happy then do it but don't, pardon the pun, shove it down my throat. You are right, there isn't a one size fits all when it comes to fitness. It's about finding what suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your training, - and how you are making it work for you while you take time out from running for your foot to heal.

    Totally agree, - certainly one size doesn't fit all. And what works/suits at one point of time may need to be tweaked/changed to suit our needs and desires at another point in life. You put it great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Michelle. Each to their own I agree. And as for Craig Harper, that man just gets it, IMO.

    Pip that's so true too. We, and our circumstances are forever changing and its foolish to assume that our diet/lifestyle will always be the same. Who knows, I may actually embrace Raw Veganism one day LOL (she says with tongue planted firmly in cheek).

    M

    ReplyDelete