Wednesday, March 13, 2013

HUMAN EXPERIMENT UPDATE

Wow, so many tips and suggestions that I'm grateful for. Thanks guys!!

I may just have found my solution in a combination of things that has brought some success. 

I have been eating mainly vego since the start of the month and I must admit, I like it. Admittedly I'm having packaged vege / chick pea / lentil burgers mainly through laziness and not wanting to spend lots of time in the kitchen when its been so hot. I've also given packaged felafels a go and they were particularly good as my homemade ones were always a disaster. Throw in some lentil salads and plenty of veg with my meals (which is pretty normal for me) and I'm feeling like I might grow my leg and armpit hair, join a commune and sing koombaya as I worship the earth LOL.

But on a serious note, my system seems to like this way of eating :-) Then mum and dad were horrified to hear of my predicament and immediately jumped in with the 'prunes soaked overnight, eat them, drink the liquid first thing in the morning'. I wasn't overly keen to start the day with a big sugary hit but upon checking my packet of prunes I saw they had no added sugar so it was just the natural sweetness you get in dried fruit. I soaked them and ate them the next morning and downed the big glass of the water they had been in. After my training I mixed up a protein shake with a good tablespoon of psyllium husks and lo and behold, later that day ... SUCCESS!!!

So now my mission is to see what this does over a few weeks of making this a daily or every second day ritual. On a positive note, I haven't touched my fibre supp for about a week and that in itself is progress.

On the training front I'm suffering badly from some killer leg DOMS. I have obviously avoided all lower body work since the middle of February but on Sunday I jazzed up my 'upper body cardio' with a light dumbbell that I used to squat, touchdown to the floor and then lift up and overhead repeated several times over 10 minutes (including many reps of just arm moves). I didn't feel it at the time but a day later the DOMS set in and then 2 days later it JUST ABOUT KILLED ME. I'm still suffering badly and dreading going to the toilet LOL.

Finally I had my 2nd physio visit yesterday morning and progress is going really well. My ankle flexibility has improved 100%. My ankle strength is good. The physio said that the swelling I still have is quite normal and to not be alarmed that it could take a long while to go. Same with having numbness around the wound site. He did recommend quite strongly that I not rush back into running, suggesting that a period of 3 months post op would be ideal for a thorough recovery. Any sooner back into the high impact stuff and I'd be at risk of aggravating the ankle and setting myself back. So I've hung up my running shoes for now and will be rowing and riding my spin bike instead. And I'm totally ok with that :-)

So there you have it, a big update but I'm happy that things are looking up on many fronts. 

Cheers all

M  

 

3 comments:

  1. I personally find prunes rather awesome - and they taste good to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The key is consistency. Every day, keep doing what works for you. If it's prunes and a shake with physillium., do it every day. Regular is regular... as they say!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, I'm lovin em too and they're not as sweet as i thought they would be.

    Hahaha, you know me, don't you Kerry. Being consistent is as much of a challenge as being regular LOL.

    M

    ReplyDelete