Monday, February 18, 2013

THE UGLY SIDE OF POST SURGERY

Well the stir craziness is slowly seeping in as mentioned by Kek and Michelle's comments on my last blog post.

I need to preface this by saying that my recovery is going well and in the big scheme of things my 'injury' is extremely minor and trust me I am truly grateful for this. Things could be a LOT worse. But today I want to blog about the ugly side of having a surgery that leaves you somewhat mobility restricted.

I have blogged quite openly about my persistent lack of regularity. It seems to be with me constantly unless I make a mega effort to modify my diet to something I haven't been able to easily maintain. Well I'm finding now that the combination of anaesthetic, inactivity and eating less to match that level of inactivity has resulted in some serious lack of regularity :-( Finally after 2 doses of a fibre supp (I hate the "L" word) there has been some relief but it was several days coming.

The other thing I've noticed is the sore spots I'm getting from the crutches or the imbalance in my gait. My op was on my right foot so my left side has been weight bearing while I ease off my right. What I've noticed is the left hip muscle that runs across the bone and down and forward has become really sensitive. So much so that if I stretch it out, it has a very painful burning feeling in it. My left tricep too at the very top almost at my armpit has become very sore. When I go to get up from the couch it pulls and I get that painful burning feeling in it too. I'm sure it's not the crutches as my weight is supported on the hands and not the armpits. I think it's the Universe reminding me that being inactive is not a viable way of life for me.

Today I hobbled out to one of my favourite local cafes despite the heat and the crutches. Oh the freedom of escaping the sofa, having a coffee :-) and being out in the world again. It was a really enjoyable hour even if it was a bit hot to sit outside. I call it my 'sanity break' and am now just hanging out for Peter and Mitchell to come home and for us to have dinner together. Oh and there might just be a glass of wine with it too :-)

M

4 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound pretty Magda. I can imagine the frustrations with the pains, lack of mobility and regularity issues. Onwards and upwards though! Are you not really into that many less active activities such as reading, scrapbooking, watching movies, dare I say crafts etc etc? I do know if you can't be active....because of injured etc, it's when you really wanna be and it's frustrating! My younger sis has just passed 37 weeks preg with her first, she is so envious of seeing me out training while she can't train hard! She is not enjoying the pregnancy weight gain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in the worst stage of your recovery by the sounds of it, Magda. I hope things will only get better from here as you regain a little mobility one day at a time.
    Cassie sprained her foot a couple of weeks ago and had to use crutches for the first week back at school...poor kid had blisters under both arms. She couldn't put up with them any longer so ended up hobbling along without the crutches...choice of the lesser evil I guess xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You poor thing. I hope you had that glass of wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Magda, I know what you mean - my right shoulder started feeling sore because it was working harder than it was used to. SOunds like progress is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete