Thursday, February 7, 2013

STAYING POSITIVE AND BALANCED

I'm now mentally counting down til I have my foot op and potentially 2 weeks with little - no exercise, although I'm quietly determined that some upper body work will happen once I've recovered from the effects of the anaesthetic. I'm sure it'll be a mental challenge as much as a physical one as I've never in my life been incapacitated in such a way. It'll be very weird to sit or lie around and wait for Peter to come home and make dinner but I plan to rest properly and not put any unnecessary strain on my foot before I'm allowed.

I've had a bit of a motivation resurgence this week and have been rockin my training. On Monday I got up early as I had a bit of insomnia and was awake hours before my alarm. My session consisted of back and chest weights done in super-sets and then followed up with spin bike intervals (sprints and hill climbs). I trained for about an hour :-) On Tuesday I hit our rower choosing 2 fairly challenging programs and cranking up the levels (intensity) for a good 30+ minutes workout. I followed that up with some ab work and yesterday I hit legs with heavy (for me) weights and a bit of core work. I haven't been able to put weight on my right elbow since I fell over running in early January. Today I got back into sprint repeats although my legs were sore and tired and my sprints were pathetically slow :-( Regardless, it was still a good workout.

Work continues to be extremely busy with some BIG stuff going on. As soon as my boss gives me feedback on a document I was working on yesterday, I'll be off here and hard at it again. I'm sort of looking forward to a forced break from work even if its convalescing on the couch LOL.

I've also been putting a fair bit of effort into staying positive an balanced this week. There have been some challenging incidents both personally and at work that could easily have tipped me into the "eat to feel better" state but I've been really conscious of that and have actively worked on changing my thinking to get different (better) actions. For instance, when I felt like total crap yesterday morning I just sat with those feelings knowing that things would eventually improve. Resorting to junk food would actually NOT make me feel any better. Now if this mindset could just etch itself permanently into my psyche!

Cheers all

:-) M

   

3 comments:

  1. Your workouts of late sound very solid Magda, - well done! All the best for the op, best wishes for a speedy recovery! I have had a couple of similar struggles with gathering motivation to get out with a run, or get down, do my resistance exercises but sometimes the best way always is 'just get her done'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're coping well with life's challenges, Magda. At the end of the day it's all about learning from the past and not reacting in a way we know will leave us feeling worse (eg resorting to junk food)
    I've got my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for you - keep us posted xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep I'm putting in a big effort before my enforced break Pip. Hoping that the kilos don't creep back up while I'm laid up.

    Trying harder Sandra, that's for sure. I might be blogging A LOT during my recovery LOL.

    ReplyDelete