Monday, February 25, 2013

THE THINGS I LEARNT TODAY

Today was my post op appointment with my surgeon and time for the yucky bandage to come off, stitches to come out and round 1 of post operative physio.

So it all went well and my wound is looking good and even though the surgeon was unpleasantly surprised with my bruising, I was feeling good that it had gone down considerably. On a further positive note I was lucky to not have had any serious pain and also to be able to walk without crutches after one week. I tell you, I have a strong constitution and all this just confirms it.

However whereas my surgeon originally said I could be running again after 4 weeks I'm now told that in 6 week's time I have a final consult to see if everything is ok and that is when I'll be cleared for more strenuous activity. My physio also said that bone surgeries can take 3, 6 or 12 months to heal properly and it's best to err on the side of taking more time than less before getting into the high impact aerobic activity again. So I have resigned myself to take it easy for as long as is recommended. I'd rather have a longer recovery that is 100% than to rush back into running only to find that it aggravates my wound and sets me back.

So right now it's all about ankle and calf muscle rehab plus upper body weights. Lower body weights will follow and running will come later on. And I'm totally fine with that. I have a few more days at home to rest my foot and then I have to tough out going back to work.

That's enough for today. Cheers all.

M

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear all is okay. Great idea to take that extra time to recover, it would be terrible if you re-injured yourself trying to rush back into it.

    All the best for your remaining time off work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like progress is good Magda and very happy to hear it!

    ReplyDelete