Monday, December 10, 2012

TRAINING AND FRUSTRATION

Even though I'm on holidays I got up at 6.15 so that I could get my exercise done before Peter went to work and I'd be housebound. My right hip and glute were aching badly today and as I was heading on a somewhat uphill route to begin with, I decided to walk the first stretch of about 20 minutes. After I hit the downhill route home I picked it up to a jog for about 17 minutes and then decided to finish with some spin bike work. I clocked up about 5 minutes steady state and then did 5 sets of 30 sec sprint/30 sec recovery. Not bad considering it was an awful morning where it was cold and very windy :-(
 
One of the things that has continually frustrated me is my lack of results from my weight training. I keep reading about all these women who discover weight training and it changes their shape and does all these other wonderful things blah, blah, blah yet that never happens for me. And yes I have stuck with it for months at a time only to notice no difference whatsoever. Yes I have lost body fat but doing a decent amount of cardio has no doubt helped that. The other frustrating thing is that I never notice my strength improving. I get to a point with all of my exercises and then unless I'm really carbed up to the max, my strength just stays static.
 
It would be really nice to notice an improvement in my physique from the hard work put into training.Or perhaps I'm just too impatient and expect results too quickly. And I do concede that diet plays a big part and I may not be disciplined enough but for me its important to achieve a nice balance of eating well and enjoying the things I love as opposed to 'dieting for a look'. Perhaps I want to have my cake and eat it too and that aint never gonna happen LOL.
 
Anyways right now I'm far from being in any sort of good shape but I've been thinking about the future and where I want to be and how I might get there.
 
M 

5 comments:

  1. Genetics does play a part, but no reason why you can't get stronger. Get in touch with Lisa Weis (www.barbelles.net.au) She does Skype sessions and will soon get you moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, frustrating with the strength training. I can understand that with lengthly stints of consistent hard work you would want to see slow and steady strength improvements over time.

    I am sure you will find a solution, - just DON'T give up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The navel gazer has messaged you on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would second getting in contact with Lisa Weis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. I'm not keen on skype sessions as I'm just not physically set up for it but am seriously considering getting some coaching next year. Perhaps a big shake up from my usual comfortable routine will do me some good :-)

    M

    ReplyDelete