Saturday, December 8, 2012

SPEECH NIGHT

Yesterday marked the end of the 2012 school year for my boy culminating in Speech Night last night. Whilst he wasnt the recipient of any awards, it was nevertheless a fantastic night showcasing a myriad of talents, hard work and utmost dedication. I always come away from those nights feeling mega proud, mega happy and beyond satisfied that my exhorbitant school fees are indeed money well spent LOL.
 
The head of the Preparatory school gave a wonderful speech (as he always does) basing it around the following saying:
 
The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want right now. (I eventually found it on the internet and it read slightly different but we wont get totally technical.) The quote is from Don Herold.
 
Of course he applied this saying to the work done by staff in educating our boys to be well rounded students and citizens but when I heard it, it absolutely resonated with me - like 100%.
 
How many times have I chosen the "I want this now" vs "This is what I want long term." WAY too many times I can tell you. I wrote the saying out and stuck it to the bathroom mirror as a prompt for me to do different in future. At the end of the day I can analyse everything to the nth degree and I'd rule out 99% of possible causes, excuses, challenges in why I havent succeeded in managing my weight. Whereas the explanation is simple really.
 
I knew that giving up that hour and half of my precious Friday night was for a good outcome. Thanks Mr Head of the Prep School :-)
 
M

3 comments:

  1. I love that quote! I think I might have to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It rings too true doesnt it Michelle?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote Magda, I've had it stuck on the inside of my pantry door for years! A good reminder when I'm reaching for something that I really shoulnd't be eating!

    ReplyDelete