Sunday, December 9, 2012

SUNDAY HOUR OF POWER

My training has been all over the place for a few weeks now and admittedly there have been quite a few days where it hasnt happened, often for no good reason. Since Peter's been riding on a Sunday morning and he's out for a couple of hours, its been way too easy to find all sorts of excuses to NOT do anything. I marvel at this as Sundays have alweays been my favourite training day.
 
But today it was time for the tide to turn and turn it did. My challenge was to knock off an hour or so of cardio and do it without leaving Mitchell at home on his own for too long. Oh and BTW and hour on the bike or rower was not on the cards .... BORING!! So i planned this out in my head and did the following:
 
Headed out for a 5 minute walk just going around my block where my house stays pretty much in view most of the time. Then I picked it up to a jog pace sticking to laps around the same block. At the 20 or so minute mark I headed into my studio and did some steady state riding on my spin bike followed by 5 x 30 sec sprint/30 sec recovery and then 5 x 30 sec hill climb/30 sec recovery.  Bike done it was time to hop onto the rower where I did my favourite program for 2 rounds (thats 16 minutes). As I headed out the door for my second run I noticed an hour had passed and my legs were really feeling it. My run was a very pathetic Cliff Young Shuffle so I quickly switched to walking just 1 lap of the block before declaring my workout "over and out".
 
Calorie burn = 500+
Endorphin rush = mega
 
I followed this up with my pond slime drink (aka green smoothie), 10+ minutes of decent stretching, a delicious healthy breakfast and a leisurely read of the paper. Now tell me, why did I ever give this up??   
 
M

4 comments:

  1. Hey Magda!!! You are a hoot! Great job on the workout!

    I will get back to blogging soon, (still am getting over losing my WHOLE Thailand post which took maybe 8 hours to post, - when I was very near finished!)

    Monday 3 Dec, - I finally decided to trudge out the joggers after maybe 3.5 months of absence, - 8 extra kilos from when I finished my 29 day 'challenge' mid August.

    Results were as expected, - have added in the strength training and circuit workouts etc again. While my Thailand holiday was 'active' I didn't keep my running fitness and my strength training abilities dropped still. Anyway have been on track for over a week so at least am in groove again. Now getting used to winds/Antarctic blasts in the mix! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pip, my new mantra is "the chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want right now." I'm sure you get that. You'll get your groove back and those 8 kilos will be gone. I know you can and will do it.

    xx m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mantra Magda, - I will remember that one! The 8kg since end of 29 day challenge doesn't sound as bad, - but it's 21kg on my Gold Coast half marathon physique um, July last year.! Just shooting to see some real improvements in fitness all round, enter some events here and average a loss of at least 2kg a month! Although a tad more in the first couple of months wouldn't go astray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like we both have some work ahead of us Pip.

    xx m

    ReplyDelete